AmberBox is a ready-to-start-developing-in-rails Vagrant box.
What is included?
- RVM & rubies: 1.9.3, 1.9.2, 1.8.7
- Databases: MySQL, PostgreSQL, mongodb, redis-server
- ZSH + Oh-my-zsh config
- tmux, screen
- Vim + Janus
- Firefox 14, Xvfb - for running your Selenium tests
Some default configuration:
- forwards localhost:3000 to port 3000 at virtual machine
- sets networking in 192.168.33.0 network (VM is 192.168.33.3)
- enables X11 forwarding (if you want to run selenium from within VM)
- cool AmberBit motd
Steps to get it up and running:
- Install VirtualBox 4.2 from here: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
- Install Vagrant from here: http://downloads.vagrantup.com/tags/v1.0.5 or as a ruby gem: gem install vagrant
Add amberbox Vagrant box to your local library of boxes
$ vagrant box add amberbox https://github.com/downloads/amberbit/amberbox/amberbox.box
This requires downloading 829 MB box file. After this step, you should
have 'amberbox' box installed in your system, and you can init your development boxes from it.
- Create virtual machine for your project
$ mkdir my_project_name && cd my_project_name $ vagrant init amberbox $ vagrant up $ vagrant ssh
The box has defaults that might not suit you. For example, it gives by default up to 2GB of your RAM for the VM. Settings I customized, that you most likely want to tweak in Vagrantfile are
config.vm.customize ["modifyvm", :id, "--memory", 2048] config.vm.network :hostonly, "192.168.33.3" config.ssh.forward_x11 = true config.vm.forward_port 3000, 3000
Brought to you by AmberBit Ruby on Rails development team (http://www.amberbit.com).
Based on Vagrant box: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1543052/Boxes/UbuntuServer12.04amd64.box Get more boxes from: http://vagrantbox.es