This is a quick demo I built for the Culture Grid Hack Day. It uses the Culture Grid API to show the nearest MLA institutions to a given point.
- Drag the map to move around, use the mouse wheel to zoom in and out (The map is centered in Newcastle, but you can query anywhere in Britain).
- Click on the map or drag the marker around to get the results. Clicking on the icons will give you more information.
- Coincident points are not handled, so if two or more institutions are located in the same place, only one will be shown.
- Tested on Firefox 3.6 and 4, Chrome 7 and IE 8. I'm not sure how older browsers will cope with a lot of markers loaded.
Some nice things that could be improved or added:
- Handle coincident points.
- Show an special icon for institutions where collections can be searched.
- Page results.
- Choose between different collections on a given institution.
- Add locators by address, post code, etc.
- API to embed a map with cultural institutions on any website.
For any comments:
Adrià Mercader (amercadero at gmail.com) - http://amercader.net
Built with jQuery and OpenLayers.