BRGamebookEngine is an open source iOS app for creating and playing "gamebooks", which are essentially interactive books where you get to make decisions that influence the story. For example, a popular brand of gamebook is Choose Your Own Adventure®, of which this project has no association.
- Create classic (or more advanced) gamebooks right on your iDevice
- Export and import games from non-proprietary JSON files
- Analyzer ensures you don't create any unreachable pages or dead-ends
- These are essentially just global variables shared throughout a game
- They hold a name, and an integer value which defaults to 0
- The text of the page, formatted with a limited set of Markdown attributes
- The consequences of landing on a given page
- A consequence can affect attributes in three ways:
- Set (to a value)
- Increment (by a value)
- Decrement (by a value)
- Multiply (by a value)
- The page that the decision leads to
- Match Any or All rules (based on the value of Attributes) to determine if a decision appears on the page
If you're curious about what an exported Gamebook looks like, view An Introduction to Gamebook Engine.gbook for an example.
git clone https://github.com/amiantos/brgamebookengine.git
BRGamebookEngine.xcworkspacein Xcode 10.3 or higher.
- Build :)
- Brad Root - amiantos
- The app icon features the icon magic, by Smalllike