NKO Resume - Aashay Desai
Hi! This is my NKO resume. I'm using this to tell you a little bit about myself so you can decide whether or not we'd be a good fit together for Node Knockout. If you'd like to tell me more about yourself, you can fork this!
I'm a software engineer in Quality on the Salesforce.com API team by day, and a co-founder of AnonyMouse by night. I use Node.JS for the latter and I'm always looking to improve my NodeFu. I've been using Node.JS for about 6 months.
I graduated in 2007 from the University of Illinois with a BS in General Engineering, and did a stint at a consulting company before my current job.
I live in San Francisco and I love music.
- AnonyMouse - Mentoring platform (code is private at the moment)
- StreamForce - tiny demo for Force.com Streaming API (Cometd/Bayeux API), still in progress
- Hack For Change/AnonyMouse - SMS based demo of AnonyMouse, 2nd place winner at Change.org's Hack For Change hackathon. Probably your best bet if you want to see some existing Node.JS code.
- Random Stuff on GitHub - A few random things including a couple of tiny Ruby projects
Node stuff I've used:
- Mongoose - ORM for MongoDB
- Socket.IO - The realtime framework we all know and love...
- NowJS - An interesting RPC abstraction on top of Socket.IO
- Faye - Bayeux Pub/sub for Node
- ExpressJS - Popular web microframework
- Connect - Middleware framework for Node (used in Express)
- Restler - Rest client
- bcrypt - Blowfish encrpytion for passwords
- oauth - Oauth lib
- EJS - Templating syntax similar to Ruby on Rails' ERB
Other stuff I've used
- APIS: Twilio, Force.com, MongoLabs
- Databases: MongoDb, MySQL (although it's been a while)
- Frontend: MooTools, jQuery (although I prefer the former)
- Misc Tools: Git/GitHub (duh), CampFire, Pivotal Tracker,
Stuff I want to try
- Redis (planning on using this for a current project but haven't gotten around to it)
- Riak (exploring this as an alternative to MongoDB)
- CoffeeScript (already reading the book)
- Twitter/Facebook/GitHub APIs (I love APIs.)
Ideas I'm interested in
I like working on web apps with real-time components that are useful to people. I have a vague social-ish app idea that I need to hash out a bit more.
I think it might be cool to make a music-related app (as in, making music, not finding it).
I'd love to make a game but I don't have a lot of UI development experience. I love games though!
I love to work with great designers. I'm pretty UX focused so I'll do whatever it takes to make sure my users are happy.
If you're a designer looking for developers or a developer interested in what you see here, let's get in touch!
Also, if you have an existing team and you could use some more help, lets talk!