Experiment: Recoil vs Muzzle Velocity
Read the full article which investigates the relationship between Recoil and Muzzle Velocity.
25 rounds were fired for this experiment, which was conducted on 2018-08-27.
- 5 rounds sighters/foulers (preloaded bipod)
- 10 rounds fired with preloaded bipod technique
- 10 rounds fired with free-recoil technique
Note: The Pressure Trace II system failed to record the first sighter/fouler shot. To compensate for the discrepency, I archived this shot on the MagnetoSpeed chronograph to keep it separate from the remaining captured data.
Arduino-based acceleration sensor
- Adafruit LIS3DH Triple-Axis Accelerometer
- Adafruit Feather M0 Bluefruit LE
- Adalogger FeatherWing - RTC + SD
- 3.7V 500maH LiPo Battery
- 3d-printed mount
Software is available in the
- Bullet: 142gr 0.264" 6.5mm Sierra MatchKing
- Powder: 41.6gr Hodgdon H4350
- Brass: Lapua 6.5mm Creedmoor (small rifle primer)
- Primer: CCI BR-4
Built by Spartan Precision Rifles.
- Action: American Rifle Company Mausingfield
- Barrel: 6.5mm Bartlein Heavy Palma Contour 1:8" Twist
- Stock: Manners MCS-T2A
- Bottom Metal: Battle Arms Development (discontinued)
- Magazine: American Rifle Company 10rd
- Scope: Vortex Razor HD Gen II
- Rings: Spuhr ISMS Mount
- Muzzle brake: Rugged Suppressor 7.62 3-port brake
- Suppressor: Rugged Suppressor Surge 7.62
- Bipod: Harris BRM-S bipod with Larue Tactical LT706 mount
Affiliate links may be used above to help support Ammolytics.