- A web based audio/video streaming application and file manager allowing you to access your music & videos from anywhere, using almost any internet enabled device.
- A back-end for supplying the player of your choice (with http streaming support) with all of your music.
- Both a front-end and back-end for various Localplay options meaning you can use Ampache to control mpd as well as supply mpd with the music it is to play.
Ampache is not...
- A universal player. Ampache doesn't use codecs. It simply streams the music to your player / web browser. If set up properly, it can convert music on the fly in case you use a player that doesn't read a specific format. For instance, if your player doesn't support FLAC, Ampache can Transcode it on the fly to mp3 or any other format.
- Modern HTML5 Web Player (embedded or popup)
- Subsonic Backend - Compatibility with any Subsonic client
- DAAP Backend
- UPnP Backend
- Localplay for Httpq/MPD/VLC/XBMC, Stream, Democratic
- Live streams/radio
- Subsonic remote catalog (you can import music coming from an existing Subsonic instance)
- Soundcloud remote catalog
- Second Ampache instance as a remote catalog
- Song lyrics from ChartLyrics and LyricsWiki
- Metadata from MusicBrainz
- Get similar artists/biography/pictures asynchonously from Last.FM
- Transcoding (Live transcoding fully configurable using ffmpeg, avconv, neatokeen or any other command)
- Configurable automatic downsampling based on bandwidth useage
- Album art gathered from Amazon, a specified url, or from the filesystem
- Dynamic playlists based on search results which update as your catalog updates
- Per user theme preference and easy theming interface
- Several authentication methods, can be turned off completely for internal instances
- Per User statistics of song/album/artist/genre played
- Democratic Playback based on communal votes from your users to a single output source.
- ... And more!