☁️ Awesome Serverless
A curated list of awesome services, solutions and resources for serverless / nobackend applications.
Table of contents
☁️Awesome Serverless - A curated list of awesome services, solutions and resources for serverless / nobackend applications.
- Table of contents
- What is "serverless" computing?
- All in one solutions
- Hosting and code execution in the cloud
- Isomorphic Engines
- Cost calculators
- Logging / Monitoring / Performance / Tracing
- Authentication and authorization
- Content Management Systems
- Image management and File storage
- Email sending, subscriptions and newsletters
- SMS sending
- Push notifications
- Related articles
- AWS re:Invent videos
- Videos from conferences
What is "serverless" computing?
The phrase “serverless” doesn’t mean servers are no longer involved. It simply means that developers no longer have to think "that much" about them. Computing resources get used as services without having to manage around physical capacities or limits. Let's take for example AWS Lambda. "Lambda allows you to NOT think about servers. Which means you no longer have to deal with over/under capacity, deployments, scaling and fault tolerance, OS or language updates, metrics, and logging."
All in one solutions
- 1Backend - A complete platform with a strong focus on application composability, type safe APIs and client library generation.
- AppDrag - Cloud Backend with SQL database and serverless API builder, Cloud CMS with domain management and email marketing tools
- Firebase - Realtime database, authentication, hosting. A powerful platform for your mobile or web application.
- Backendless - Realtime database, authentication, hosting.
- Stamplay - "IFTTT For Back-End Development".
- Kinvey - Build your digital business faster with mobile Backend as a Service.
- Syncano - An all-in-one platform to create realtime apps without a server.
- Hoodie - Hoodie is a complete backend for your apps: develop your frontend code.
- Para - Flexible and lightweight backend service for rapid prototyping, based on open source software.
Backand- One platform to develop and run multi-cloud Serverless applications.
Hosting and code execution in the cloud
- Amazon Lambda - Run code without thinking about servers. Pay for only the compute time you consume.
- Google Cloud Functions - Lightweight, event-based, asynchronous compute solution that allows you to create small, single-purpose functions that respond to cloud events without the need to manage a server or a runtime environment.
- MongoDB Stitch - Serverless platform from MongoDB.
- Spotinst Functions - Devploy serverless functions with our easy to use framework that launch onto the Spot Market for cheap and convenient use.
- Azure Functions - Listen and react to events across your stack.
- Fission - Fast, extensible, open source serverless functions on any Kubernetes cluster
- IBM Cloud Functions - Distributed compute service to execute application logic in response to events.
- Kubeless - is a Kubernetes-native serverless solution.
- iron.io - Isolates code and dependencies of individual tasks so they can be processed on demand.
- weblab.io - Microservices at your fingertips.
- Peer5 - The serverless CDN. Limitless, affordable video delivery. More traffic means a stronger network.
- StdLib - Function as a service library and platform.
- Auth0 Webtasks - Run code with an HTTP call. No provisioning. No deployment.
Webscripts- Scripting on the web. (Shutting down December 15, 2017)
- APItools - Troubleshoot, Modify, Monitor API traffic.
- Surge - Deploy static sites from the command line.
- Netlify - All-in-one platform for automating modern web projects. Build and host static sites, deploy AWS lambda functions, and more, all from git repositories.
- Aerobatic - Deploy static sites from the command line with plugins including password protection, CORS proxy, and more.
- Effe - a simple Open Source building block to emulate AWS Lambda.
- Lever OS - Serverless + Microservices = ♥
- Now - realtime node.js deployments
- Brightwork - Backend in a box for Developers
- OpenComponents - Serverless microservices for front-end components
Kloudbit- Kloudbit helps developers build robust applications without the hassle of backend coding and server management.
- Stackery - Stackery enables teams of developers to design, deploy, and monitor their serverless infrastructure on cloud services providers like AWS
- Algorithmia - Automating the use of AI/ML models at every scale with the Serverless AI Layer.
- lychee.js - Isomorphic adapters allow peer-to-peer event-graphed WebSockets and HTTP1.1, SPDY and HTTP2.0 sockets for node, node-sdl, html, html-nwjs and html-webview (both native and embedded).
- Aegis - A Golang serverless application development framework for AWS with deploy tool
- Apex - Minimal AWS Lambda function manager with support for multiple languages including Nodejs, Golang, Python, Java, Rust and Clojure.
- Architect - Provision and deploy from a super simple plaintext manifest
- Up - Deploy infinitely scalable serverless apps, apis, and sites in seconds.
- Chalice - Python serverless microframework from Amazon for AWS lambda
- CIM - A CloudFormation first approach to AWS Lambdas.
- ClaudiaJS - Deploy Node.js microservices to AWS easily.
- DEEP - Full-stack Web Framework for Cloud-Native Applications and Platforms using Microservices Architecture.
- flowbject - A high-level library whose aim is to help with writing state-machine flows.
- FunctionShield - A security library that equips developers with the ability to easily enforce strict security controls on AWS Lambda function runtime by addressing 3 common use cases: 1) Disable outbound internet connectivity. 2) Disable read/write on the /tmp/ directory 3) Disable child process execution.
- Gordon - λ Gordon is a tool to create, wire and deploy AWS Lambdas using CloudFormation
- IronFunctions - The Serverless Microservices platform
- Kappa - a command line tool that (hopefully) makes it easier to deploy, update, and test functions for AWS Lambda.
- Lambda API - Lightweight web framework for your serverless applications
- Lambda Forest - Microframework that makes it easier to develop REST API's using AWS Lambda Function and API Gateway.
- Lambada Framework - JAX-RS implementation for AWS Lambda.
- lambda-restify - A restify/expressjs like interface for aws lamda with api gateway event.
- Lambdoku - Heroku-like experience when using AWS Lambda
- middy - Node.js middleware engine for AWS Lambda
- modofun - A lightweight no-dependencies function router for both AWS Lambda and Google Cloud Functions, and that supports Connect/Express middleware.
- Pulumi - A cloud development platform for serverless, containers, infrastructure. Multi-cloud (and Kubernetes) and works with JS, TS, Python, Go
- Python-λ - A toolkit for developing and deploying serverless Python code in AWS Lambda
- Serverless Framework - Build and maintain web, mobile and IoT applications running on AWS Lambda, Azure Cloud Functions, IBM OpenWhisk, and Google Cloud Functions (formerly known as JAWS).
- Shep - A framework for building APIs using AWS API Gateway and Lambda
- Sigma - An all-in-one, browser-based IDE toolkit for drag-n-drop composing, testing and deploying of serverless applications, with fully automated configuration management
- Sparta - A framework that transforms a Go application into an AWS Lambda powered microservice.
- SAM Local - Is the AWS CLI tool for managing Serverless applications written with AWS Serverless Application Model (SAM)
- Turtle - library for building functional and actor-driven NodeJS apps on Lambda
- Zappa - Serverless Python WSGI with AWS Lambda + API Gateway.
- λambdify - AWS Lambda automation and integration for Python
- Squeezer Framework - Event-driven APIs & Web apps on microservices, serverless.
- Spring Cloud Function - Java framework for doing Functions using Spring ecosystem
- Fission Workflows - Fast workflow-based function composition for serverless functions
- azure-functions-express - Allows Express.js usage with Azure Functions
- Riff - Kubernetes based serverless framework supporting multiple languages.
- PureSec - Enabling Secure and Reliable Serverless Applications.
- Protego - your apps became serverless. Your security also need to be serverless too.
- seed.run - Seed manages pipelines, configures environments, and monitors deployments for Serverless Framework projects.
- serverlesscalc - Calculating cost for AWS Lambda, Azure Functions, Google Cloud Functions, and IBM OpenWhisk.
- servers.lol - calculator to decide Lambda vs EC2.
Logging / Monitoring / Performance / Tracing
- Dashbird - Performance Tracking and Error Alerting for serverless applications.
- IOpipe - Application Performance Monitoring & Management for serverless applications.
- Thundra - Thundra brings observability into your AWS Lambda functions by bringing metrics, logs, distributed tracing, and alerting together.
- Epsagon - Epsagon automatically analyses your serverless application, identifies potential issues, and allows fast troubleshooting.
Authentication and authorization
- Auth0 - Single Sign On & Token Based Authentication.
- Amazon Cognito - Amazon Cognito lets you easily add user sign-up and sign-in to your mobile and web apps.
- DailyCred - Registration, user management, single-sign-on.
- OAuth.io - OAuth integration, user management, provides OAuth 2.0 layer to existing APIs.
- Okta - Provides authentication, authorization, and user management, merged with Stormpath in August 2017.
- Serverless Authentication Boilerplate with FaunaDB - Single sign on using Amazon API Gateway custom authorizer to provision database access tokens for your Lambda functions. See TodoMVC integration in this meetup talk video.
- PureSec CLI - Magically creates least privileged IAM roles for you.
- Stripe Webtask - Accept Stripe payments without a backend using Webtasks.
- Stripe Serverless webhook - Serverless Module that creates a webhook for Stripe.
- Stripe Lambda function - A Lambda function for charging cards with Stripe
- GCF-Stripe - serverless use of Stripe over Google Cloud Functions
- CommerceJS - Full-stack ecommerce api for developers & designers.
- EndlessCommerce - Open source ecommerce platform based on Serverless framework.
Content Management Systems
- Contentful - A content infrastructure that enables teams to power content in any digital product via a RESTful API.
- Lesspod - The opensource Serverless CMS (web + blog engine) built with vue 2.0, SQLite (localy only) and deployable to Firebase (and more in future).
- Storyblok - API based & Headless CMS - Clean and structured JSON for you as developer and a CMS your editors will fall in love with. Unlimited extensibility through custom plugins.
- TakeShape - Content-as-a-Service via a powerful GraphQL API and integrated SSG for teams that want to stay focused on their product.
- Tipe - Next generation serverless CMS. Create your content with powerful editing tools and access it from anywhere with a GraphQL or REST API.
- Form.io - JSON Powered Form and Data Management Platform for Serverless applications.
- Formspark - A backend for your HTML forms.
- Formspree - Functional HTML forms.
- Formplug - Form forwarding service for AWS Lambda.
- Tectite FormMail - FormMail, form Encryption, hosted Forms.
- Google Forms - Create and analyze online forms and surveys.
- TellForm - A free, opensource form builder similar to Google Forms or TypeForm that can create stunning forms for recruiting, market research and more.
- Pageclip - A Server for your HTML Forms - Collect info from users without a server—Pageclip is your server. Lead capture forms, surveys, newsletter forms, contact forms, etc. Setup any form in seconds.
- Typeform - Pretty, intuitive, slick forms for almost any use.
Image management and File storage
- Filestack - Image management system with Filestack - upload files, transform images, videos, and documents, store content and deliver fast via CDN.
- Kloudless - Integrate with one, universal API and connect to many file storage and CRM services.
- Uploadcare - HTML5 widget, API to manage files in cloud storage, smart and fast CDN to deliver them to your end users. Crop, resize and transform uploaded images using URL commands.
- ReSRC.it - The Responsive Image Service that delivers brilliantly optimized, pixel perfect images to any device.
- Letter Avatar - Generates Google-like binary avatar images
- Ably - Global distributed realtime data delivery platform with pub/sub, presence, device awareness, history, connection state recovery, authentication and encryption.
- Pusher - Build Apps, Not Infrastructure.
- Pubnub - PubNub utilizes a Publish/Subscribe model for realtime data streaming.
- Posthook - Run code only when you need to by scheduling webhooks for later. Set up workflows from your functions and run them on a repeating schedule.
Email sending, subscriptions and newsletters
- Lambda Mailer - AWS Lambda for sending emails.
- Serverless Mailer - Serverless Module for sending emails.
- Mailchimp Lambda - A Lambda function for subscribing to a MailChimp list.
- Mailchimp Lambda Single Opt-in - An Amazon Lambda function for creating MailChimp subscriptions with single opt-in.
- serverless-twilio - Serverless Module to send SMS via twilio.
- Amazon SNS - A flexible, fully managed pub/sub messaging and mobile notifications service (including SMS) for coordinating the delivery of messages to subscribing endpoints and clients.
- Ionic Push Service - Notifications for Android, iOS with Ionic Cloud.
- Pushover Notifications for Android, iOS, and Desktop.
- ZeroPush Transactional Push Notifications for Developers.
- PushWizard Multi-platform Push Notification Service.
- Pushed Send push notifications without developing your own app.
- Plot Projects Geofencing push notifications.
- XtremePush Web Push Notifications.
- Push Apps Push Notifications Enrichment Platform.
- Amazon DynamoDB - Flexible NoSQL database service
- Amazon Aurora Serverless - Serverless MySQL Database service
- Algolia - Hosted cloud search as a service.
- FaunaDB - Pay-as-you-go cloud database with ACID transactions and on-premise licensing available.
- Cloudant - Based on the Apache-backed CouchDB, Cloudant is the distributed database as a service (DBaaS) built from the ground up to deliver fast-growing application data to the edge.
- Azure Function Library - An open source set of common use cases for Azure Functions that are ready to deploy!
- aws-lambda-go - Run standard Go code on the AWS Lambda platform.
- Backstage Functions - An Open Source Serverless Platform able to store and execute code maintained by Globo.com
- remoteStorage - An open protocol for per-user storage.
- SCAR - Serverless Container-aware ARchitectures (e.g. run containers out of your Docker images in AWS Lambda).
- Sockethub - A polyglot (speaking many different protocols and APIs) messaging service for social and other interactive messaging applications.
- serverless-slack-webhook - Serverless Module that creates a webhook for Slack.
- Docker Lambda - Docker images and test runners that replicate the live AWS Lambda environment
- faas - Run Docker containers as functions on Swarm Mode (blog post)
- FunctionCI - Continuous Integration for AWS Lambdas.
- gofn - Go package for function process via container provider (serverless minimalist)
- Lambda Comments - Blog commenting system built with AWS Lambda
- LambCI - A continuous integration system built on AWS Lambda
- LambStatus - A status page system built on AWS Lambda (demo)
- AWS Lambda Debugger - Remote debugging tool for Lambda functions running on Node 6.10
- Local stack - A fully functional local AWS cloud stack
- Serverless Brasil - The Serverless Brazilian community
- Project Flogo - Project Flogo is an open source framework to simplify building efficient & modern serverless functions and edge microservices.
- Serverless Examples - A collection of boilerplates and examples of serverless architectures built with the Serverless Framework
- Lambda Shim - A node.js shim library to simplify Lambda function development
- Serverless Framework (CloudAcademy) - A Deep Overview of the Best AWS Lambda + API Gateway Automation Solution
- AWS Lambda Microservices Architecture for Node.js
- Designing Teams around Microservices
- AWS Lambda vs StdLib
- The Serverless Start-Up - Down With Servers!
- Think Serverless! - Publications encompassing a deep insight into the future of serverless application development
- Microservices without the Servers
- A startup journey on AWS: from bare metal monolith to serverless microservices
- unhosted.org - unhosted web apps. freedom from web 2.0's monopoly platforms
- Static Web Applications
- Just Serverless
- Serverless Architectures
- Serverless Stack - A step-by-step guide to creating full-stack serverless apps.
- Migrating a Native JAVA REST API to a Serverless Architecture with the Lambada Framework for AWS
- Using Kotlin with AWS Lambda - Using Kotlin in a serverless architecture with AWS Lambda.
- Serverless Architectures Security Top 10 - The Ten Most Critical Security Risks in Serverless Architectures.
- Continuous Delivery Patterns with Serverless Applications - patterns for effective Continuous Delivery when building Serverless applications.
- Serverless - Patterns of Modern Application Design Using Microservices (Amazon Web Services Edition).
- Serverless Single Page Apps - The Pragmatic Bookshelf.
- Going Serverless - Practical guide to building applications with the Serverless Framework.
- Serverless Architectures on AWS. Teaches you how to build, secure and manage serverless architectures that can power the most demanding web and mobile apps. Written by Peter Sbarski
- Building Serverless Architectures Book about building serverless applications in JAVA.
- AWS Lambda in Action An example-driven tutorial that teaches you how to build applications that use an event-driven approach on the back end.
- Serverless Apps with Node and Claudia.js A book that walks you through building serverless apps on AWS using Node.js and Claudia.js. (early access)
- Agile Development for Serverless Platforms free eBook: how to apply Agile practices in fully serverless architectures.
- Cloud Native Applications free eBook: an introduction into the world of cloud computing and insights into what is possible with cloud services.
- Exploring Cloud Computing free eBook: an introduction to the two most popular cloud providers, Amazon and Google, and insights to help you get started.
- Developing Serverless Applications - A Practical Introduction with Apache OpenWhisk free ebook focused on doing serverless with OpenWhisk.
- Docker in Action, Second Edition A book that teaches you the skills and knowledge you need to create, deploy, and manage applications hosted in Docker containers and it has been fully updated with new examples, best practices, and entirely new chapters.
- AWS Lambda in Motion - An example-driven tutorial that focuses on helping you understand and tackle the operational challenges with running AWS Lambda in production.
- Serverless Applications with AWS - Serverless Applications with AWS teaches you to build serverless applications using AWS Lambda and other cloud-based services.
- Serverless-stack - Learn to Build complete Full-Stack Apps with Serverless and React on AWS.
- Serverless-stack - Learn to Build complete Full-Stack Apps with Serverless and React on AWS.
- Develop a Serverless Backend using Node.js on AWS Lambda - Learn how to create a serverless API and connecting it to DynamoDB using leveraging Lambda's new async/await syntax
- OpenWhisk Workshop - Interactive workshop to learn about building serverless applications with OpenWhisk.
- Serverless Weekly - Everything you need to know about Serverless, week by week.
- Serverless Status - A weekly digest of the latest serverless news and articles.
- Serverless Insights - Symphonia's Serverless Insights
- Cold Start - Keep up with serverless ops and serverless community at large each Monday afternoon
AWS re:Invent videos
- ↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Lambda Start
- Application Lifecycle Management in a Serverless World
- bots + serverless = ❤
- Coca-Cola: Running Serverless Applications with Enterprise Requirements
- Content and Data Platforms at Vevo: Rebuilding and Scaling from Zero
- Operating Your Production API
- Optimizing the Data Tier in Serverless Web Applications
- Real-time Data Processing Using AWS Lambda
- Serverless Apps with AWS Step Functions
- Serverless Computing Patterns at Expedia
- Using AWS Lambda to Build Control Systems for Your AWS Infrastructure
- What’s New with AWS Lambda
Videos from conferences
You want to contribute to this project? Please follow these recommendations.