New Archlinux release with XFCE - 2019 January 12
Use only on 8G SD cards or larger!
Older installations are upgradeable by doing 'pacman -Syu'. I suggest doing it from virtual console (press ctrl+alt+f2 and login) since X11 crashed on one of my pinebooks during update. Note for users upgrading from 20180912: to get bluetooth working install rtl8723bt-firmware, blueman and pulseaudio-bluetooth and then run 'sudo systemctl enable bluetooth'. To avoid blueman asking password every time during boot to enable bluetooth put this file into /etc/polkit-1/rules.d: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/anarsoul/linux-build/mainline/otherfiles/81-blueman.rules
Login/password: alarm/alarm, root/root
Crossed out issues are fixed in new kernel -- run 'sudo pacman -Syu' to update kernel
- WiFi driver on Pinebook uses random address. Please assign some address using following workaround, run following commands in bash console as root:
# ifconfig wlan0 wlan0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 inet 192.168.40.229 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.40.255 inet6 fd93:780:a272:0:6267:20ff:fe4f:abe6 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x0<global> inet6 fe80::6267:20ff:fe4f:abe6 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x20<link> ether 02:81:c1:55:17:0a txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet) RX packets 1106670 bytes 123096708 (117.3 MiB) RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0 TX packets 1886151 bytes 2784407853 (2.5 GiB) TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0 # // pick address from ether and change first octet to 00, i.e. 02:81:c1:55:17:0a becomes 00:81:c1:55:17:0a # echo 'options 8723cs rtw_initmac=00:81:c1:55:17:0a' >/etc/modprobe.d/8723cs.conf
And then reboot.
- choose 'desktop: xfce session' on first login, it won't login with 'default'
- Audiocard number may change across reboots. Select necessary audio device (HDMI or analog) using pavucontrol
- Use 'alsamixer -Dhw:0' to control speaker volume, control name is 'Line out'.
- Reported battery level isn't accurate. Will be fixed in next releases
- Suspend doesn't work. That's upstream kernel limitation since it doesn't use ARISC core. Future release will have hibernate. Standby works but note it's not real suspend - it stops all the user processes and shuts down all devices it can. CPU and memory are still running and drawing power. The only wake up source is lid switch, so setup it up to go into standby when lid is closed and it'll resume when lid is open
- Root partition is not resized on first boot. Will be fixed in next releases. As a workaround, download this script and run it as root on your device: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/anarsoul/linux-build/mainline/otherfiles/resize_rootfs.sh - replace mmcblk0 with mmcblk2 if you installed it on eMMC.
- Dual-screen is broken on Pinebook - will be eventually fixed with kernel update. If you want to use HDMI without LCD do 'xrandr --output HDMI-1 --off; xrandr --output eDP-1 --off; xrandr --output HDMI-1 --auto'. To enable LCD back do 'xrandr --output HDMI-1 --off; xrandr --output eDP-1 --off; xrandr --output eDP-1 --auto'. If xrandr is not installed do 'pacman -S xorg-xrandr'