The goal of the system is to assist developers in writing customer-friendly RESTful Web API functional requirements and also in documenting their API with the OpenAPI Specification.
The API Development process, using the proposed system, consists of two steps:
- Write resource files according to the Gherkin-Instructions.pdf document
- Run the Gherkin2OAS tool, which will in turn convert the Gherkin resource files to an OpenAPI Specification
- Clone or download
- Navigate to the folder and install the required packages
pip install -r requirements.txt
- Install textblob corpora:
python -m textblob.download_corpora
Install graphviz for your OS: https://www.graphviz.org/download/
Add graphviz to your PATH if you are on Windows (it's something like C:\Program Files(x86)\Graphviz\bin)
- Navigate to the src folder
- Make sure you have at least one resource file written and the api_info.ini file filled
- Execute one of the following commands
python main.py -f /path/to/resources
Execution with model from previous run (for speed gain)
python main.py -m /path/to/model
You can also specify the -fg flag to enable graph fixing mode.
python main.py -h
- The resource files must have '.resource' extension, can be organised in any number of folders and can co-exist with any number of other file types. The file names can have spaces, underscores or dashes.
- The reliability of the system is secured through following the Gherkin-Instructions.pdf document. Failure to follow the described rules will definitely lead to invalid OpenAPI Specification and sometimes unsuccessfull execution of the software tool.
- It is suggested to use the Sublime Text editor while writing the Gherkin resource files, with the following package https://github.com/waynemoore/sublime-gherkin-formatter
You can view a demo of the system in the following video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5TNixy-dEc