Spreadsheet Calculator Improvised, aka sc-im, is an ncurses based, vim-like spreadsheet calculator.
sc-im is based on sc, whose original authors are James Gosling and Mark Weiser, and mods were later added by Chuck Martin.
Some of the features of sc-im
- Vim movements commands for editing cell content.
- UNDO / REDO.
- 65.536 rows and 702 columns supported. (The number of rows can be expanded to 1.048.576 if wished).
- CSV / TAB delimited / XLSX file import and export. ODS import. Markdown export.
- Direct color support - specifing the RGB values, screen colors can be customized by user, even at runtime.
- Colorize cells or give them format such as bold, italic or underline.
- Wide character support. The following alphabets are supported: English, Spanish, French, Italian, German, Portuguese, Russian, Ukrainian, Greek, Turkish, Czech, Japanese, Chinese.
- Sort of rows.
- Filter of rows.
- Cell shifting.
- Clipboard support.
- GNUPlot interaction.
- Scripting support with LUA. Also with triggers and c dynamic linked modules.
- Implement external functions in the language you prefer and use them in SC-IM.
- Use SC-IM as a non-interactive calculator, reading its input from an external script.
|=||Insert a numeric value|
|\||Insert a text value|
|e||Edit a numeric value|
|E||Edit a string value|
|x||Delete current cell content|
|:q||Quit the app|
|:w filename.sc||Save current spreadsheet in sc format|
|goab12||go to cell AB12|
|u||undo last change|
|C-r||redo last change undone|
|yy||Copy current cell|
|v||select a range using cursor/hjkl keys|
|p||paste a previously yanked cell or range|
ncurses(best if compiled with wide chars support)
which(for make to do its job)
pbpaste(for clipboard copy/paste)
libxlsxreader(for xls support)
xlsxwriter(for xlsx export support)
libzip(for xlsx/ods import support)
lua(for Lua scripting)
- threads support (in case you want to test this in Minix, just disable autobackup and HAVE_PTHREAD)
src/Makefileaccording to your system and needs:
make -C src
- Optional: You can install the binary
sc-imin your system by typing with a privileged user:
make -C src install
Building on OS X
You can follow the instructions as above, but if you would like Lua scripting support, you will need to install Lua 5.1, which you can do with,
brew install email@example.com
And then follow the instructions as above.
Homebrew for OSX users
brew install sc-im
Ubuntu with XLSX import & export
See this wiki page.
Other distros / OS
Please check wiki pages
scimrc file can be used to configure
sc-im. The file should be placed in the
Here is an example
set autocalc set numeric set numeric_decimal=0 set overlap set xlsx_readformulas
Other configuration variables are listed in the help file.
Want to help? You can help us with one or more of the following:
- giving sc-im a star on GitHub
- taking screenshots / creating screencasts showing sc-im
- making a donation (see below).
- telling if you use it / like it. I really don't have a clue if this app is used by someone.
If you like sc-im please support its development by making a DONATION with PayPal. It would really help a lot.
If you wish to make a donation, please click the above button or just send money to firstname.lastname@example.org via PayPal, choosing "Goods and Services". Paypal is preferred over Patreon.