A static site to compare sunrise/sunset times of to places on Earth
View the site here
I grew up in Budapest and moved to the Netherlands a few years ago. I could not ignore the fact that the Sun has very different patterns: it rises later and sets later here than in Budapest. However, this difference is not uniform: my feeling was that the sun rises much later and sets about the same time during the winter. I saw the inverse in the summer: Dutch summer evenings are much longer, but dawn does not lag behind that much.
This page lets you compare the dawn/dusk pattern of two arbitrary locations: just click the map to move a marker to your desired location. Hover over the graph to see exact dawn/dusk times.
I used quite a few tools to get this site going:
- Bootstrap for the general layout
- timezonedb.com's API to get time zone information based on geographic coordinates
- the Nominatim api to get the name of the location that was chosen
- SunCalc to calculate dawn/dusk times
- Datejs to work with dates
- C3.js for the graph
- Leaflet for the map
- leaflet-color-markers for the orange marker on the map.
- Google Fonts for the typeface (Crimson Text)