HM Course Planner with News
What is this
This is an attempt to build a responsive single site page to create a schedule for your courses at the University of Applied Science Munich. Also it will show you the news from the bulletin board.
How it works
- Sinatra application to serve the bookings data
- it has Redis as database backend
- bookings will be updated via a rake task
- the data comes from fi.cs.hm.edu
- all templates are using mustache
- ICanHaz/Mustache.js on the client to render the different sites dynamically
- client fetches the templates as json from the server
What it does
- browse through the bookings of each group and choose the ones you plan to attend
- chosen bookings will be saved in a cookie and shown next to the list of bookings
- for the chosen bookings, a permalink to your schedule is provided which lets you bookmark/share your schedule
- show you the news from the bulletin board for the profs you selected a course
How to run it
Install Redis; the app will connect to Redis on localhost on the default port. You can specify an other setup if you set REDIS_URL in your environment, i.e.:
This would connect to host 126.96.36.199 on port 9000, uses database number 3 using the password 'secret'.
bundle install bundle exec rake update:bookings bundle exec puma -p4567
- the background timeslot text in the big schedule view is messed up with Firefox, till now I didn't cared to fix that. It works in Chrome, Safari, Opera and IE9.
- IE on WP7.5 looks ok-ish it only does not like the font used, didn't test other mobile browser cause I lack the devices.
- Sometimes the bookings do not get merged correctly and appear multiple times, didn't investigate why that happends. Most of the times it works.
- no caching-header set
- pony mode needs improvments: more pony pics and better colors