Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Ready to contribute with the w3af project but don't know anything about git or development? This guide will help you contribute.
10 steps to contributing
- Create a Github user and add your SSH key
- Fork the w3af repository by browsing w3af's project page and clicking on the "Fork" button that's on the top-right part of the page
- Learn about Git by reading through these documents:
- Git in 5 minutes
- Git cheat-sheet
- Install and configure git, make sure you enter the correct values for
sudo apt-get install git git config --global user.name "Your Name Here" git config --global user.email "firstname.lastname@example.org"
- Download the source code from your fork and start a new feature branch. Make sure you replace
<username>in the first command,
<feature_name>in the other:
git clone --recursive email@example.com:<username>/w3af.git cd w3af git branch <feature_name> origin/develop git checkout <feature_name>
- Modify w3af's source code and test it as much as possible
- Verify all your changes are shown with status and diff. If new files are missing, add them.
git status git diff git add plugins/some/file.py
- Commit your changes making sure you describe exactly what you've done and how you tested it.
git commit -m "describe the changes here" path/to/changes/
- Push your changes to Github:
git push origin <feature_name>
<feature_name>in this link and copy+paste it in your browser in order to create a "Pull Request".
Add title and description for your changes; and change the branch against which you're sending the pull-request to
develop. In the following screenshot you'll see that the target branch is
master, you need to change that to
develop by clicking on "Edit":
If all goes well, we'll merge your changes into w3af's main repository.
The link above will open the Github pull request page with the references below:
- Source: The branch
<feature_name>coming from your forked repository,
- Target: The branch
Advanced contributors and w3af developers need to follow all the guidelines explained in the Developer's-Guide document.