Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
libsoundio vs PortAudio
Benefits of libsoundio over PortAudio:
- Supports PulseAudio backend.
- Supports Dummy backend, guaranteed to work even if computer has no sound card.
- Built-in support for channel layouts. PortAudio supports channel layouts on some backends with platform-specific extensions.
- Exposes both device id and friendly name. id you could save in a config file because it persists between devices becoming plugged and unplugged, while friendly name is suitable for exposing to users.
- Callback function provides
frame_count_maxto optimally leverage fixed-buffer backends such as JACK and CoreAudio, as well as flexible buffer backends such as ALSA and PulseAudio.
- Errors are never dumped to stdio.
- Ability to provide application and stream names which are used by JACK, PulseAudio, and WASAPI.
- Meticulously checks all return codes and memory allocations and has a plan for every edge case. Meanwhile, PortAudio is a mess.
- Ability to monitor devices and get an event when available devices change.
- Ability to get an event when the backend is disconnected, for example when the JACK server or PulseAudio server shuts down.
- In the documentation, every function that can return an error documents what error codes it can possibly return.
- Written by a single person who has carefully read the documentation for every audio backend and understands the purpose of every line of code.
Benefits of PortAudio over libsoundio:
- Supports ASIO backend. (See #23)
- Supports DirectSound. Note that on Windows Vista and higher, DirectSound is an API wrapper that uses WASAPI under the hood.
- Supports OSS, asihpi, wdmks, wmme. You are invited to file an issue if support for one of these backends would be beneficial to your use case.
- Supports older versions of Windows than Windows 7.
- Ability to open a stream simultaneously for input and output. (See #27)
- Written by many people; the "hit by a bus factor" is higher.
Clone this wiki locally
Press h to open a hovercard with more details.