Bluetooth GATT Server Sample (Java)
This application demonstrates accessing the
BluetoothGattServer Android API
from within an Android Things application. The sample application advertises
the Current Time Service,
and implements the server role of the GATT
- Android Things compatible board
- Android device running Android 4.3 (API 18) or later
- Android Studio 2.2+
- Import the project using Android Studio and deploy it to your board. The sample will automatically enable the Bluetooth radio, start a GATT server, and begin advertising the Current Time Service.
- Install the Android BluetoothLeGatt client sample on your Android mobile device.
- Use the client app to scan and connect to your Android Things board, and inspect the services and characteristics exposed by the GATT server.
- Read the value of the Current Time characteristic (
- Register for notifications on the Current Time characteristic. The client receives an update once per minute with the latest time.
- Manually set the time on your board. The time change triggers a notification to the client.
Setting the Time
You can set the system clock date/time manually on your Android Things board
date shell command over ADB.
By default, the command accepts a new date in the
# Reboot ADB into root mode $ adb root # Set the date to 2017/12/13 12:00:00 $ adb shell date 123112002017.00
Setting the Time Zone
You can set the system time zone manually by updating the
system property over ADB.
# Reboot ADB into root mode $ adb root # Set the time zone to US Mountain Time $ adb shell setprop persist.sys.timezone "America/Denver"
Enable auto-launch behavior
This sample app is currently configured to launch only when deployed from your
development machine. To enable the main activity to launch automatically on boot,
add the following
intent-filter to the app's manifest file:
<activity ...> <intent-filter> <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN"/> <category android:name="android.intent.category.HOME"/> <category android:name="android.intent.category.DEFAULT"/> </intent-filter> </activity>
Copyright 2017 The Android Open Source Project, Inc.
Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one or more contributor license agreements. See the NOTICE file distributed with this work for additional information regarding copyright ownership. The ASF licenses this file to you under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at
Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.