There are a lot of crashing fixes after 0.2.1 so if that version crashes during a map transition try this.
You SHOULD be able to reach the last bosses. All of which are messed up and buggy. Plantation is also messed up and buggy.
I've gotten rather burnt out working on this and am gonna go play video games for a while.
Thanks for helping with the
This is as far as the game goes
I'm thinking I'll make this next
stage the last one.
Wonder how far I can get in
just two months...
- A whole lot of bug fixes and polish all around in the early game
- The map system works
- Major overhaul of sprites and AI, most z order and lag issues resolved
- Omega tries to kill you!
- Monster X shows up and also tries to kill you! It doesn't fire any projectiles
- Curly's AI is slightly less stupid, actually follows you through the whole map
- The Core is visible! It can't damage you though...
- Waterway is very playable, as is the Ironhead fight
- The return to Egg Corridor is playable too, to a lesser extent. Most of the sprites are there
- Dragon Sisters float around, flap their mouths, but don't breathe any fire yet
- Once you get to Kazuma everything is invisible except him. Continuing from that point is masochism
Since adding this mid/late game stuff this weekend, I have not retested the early game. Sorry if I accidentally broke something.
Also, I'm going to get rid of the sonic water in the Core room. The reason I added it was due to the Core sprite being so large, I thought I would have to use a background layer instead of an actual sprite. This isn't the case anymore, and the background layer is free for the water.
200 commits edition. It is possible to make it as far as the Ironhead boss room (which is very broken). Here are all the changes / current issues from the top of my head.
I'm going to start calling releases "alpha" until the game is beatable. Then it will be "beta" until the stuff I missed is added in/fixed.
- Text skipping now uses the A button instead of B. It has also gotten an upgrade, holding A will fast forward scenes (objects move 2x speed, <WAI times halved)
- The pause/item menu (press start) is finally usable. You need to use it to equip the booster 0.8 if you get it (the booster DOES work, as do the turbocharge, arms barrier and air tank)
- BOSSES: Balfrog shoots and spawns frogs, Curly, Toroko, and Pooh Black try to kill you. Omega and Monster X TBD. The core is killable, most of the AI is there but it still doesn't move and is invisible. Stand on the upper right most platform and just shoot the air until it dies (650 hp)
- WEAPONS: The machine gun has been tweaked. It used to be really exploitable if you jump and start shooting down at the same time. Huge moon jump. Now it tries to lock your Y position, and pushes you down slowly at level 1/2. Bubbler, Blade, and Snake are not implimented. Don't trade Chaba for the Snake or you will be screwed
- The first half of Labyrinth is pretty much done apart from the ugly background and Monster X not existing. The part when Curly fights with you sort of works. She shoots things but gets stuck behind a wall early on and never catches up. The shutters in the core room are also missing sprites, and the water effect is unfinished
- There is a thing going on with moving platforms. If you approach them from the left side (player moving right, platform moving left), you will clip to the top of it. I'll fix it eventually
- A lot of enemies even earlier ones still don't fire any projectiles and there are a lot of other minor things wrong like motorbike is the wrong color. My focus right now is getting to the endgame
You can get through Sand Zone pretty reasonably now, though most of the enemies/objects still don't move. I forgot to add the sprite for the mimigas in the room with Curly, so after you beat Curly walk all the way to the right of the room and press down. That's the mimiga that tells you to take the puppy. Feel free to trade for the machine gun and tell me about every stupid mistake I made on that thing. I just added it an hour ago.
The frog sprite exists now (I forget if that was in 07.16), Mannan's bullets move like they should, and Balrog in the power room actually tries to kill you. His frog form does too, but just by jumping at the moment. I remember the room with the missile upgrade had a mimiga that fights you but it didn't spawn when I was in there. I assume if it does spawn the game soft locks, because I have given it no sprite or AI yet. Oh and press falls down now so the health upgrade in "execution chamber" is reachable.
- First Cave and Mimiga Village are considered "Complete". Only very minor things such as Kanpachi not blinking are left.
- Egg Corridor is "Almost Complete". There is still:
- Igor walks past Sue for the last punch
- Behemoth does not turn red & charge
- Basu does not fire projectiles
- The terminals in the missile room all show blue, a couple should be red
- Grasstown is coming along. Frogs are visible, bats don't go AS apeshit as before, and Malco sort of animates. Mannan's bullets use the correct palette now but still don't move. I'll figure that out eventually.
- I haven't touched Sand Zone in this release, or checked if the second half with the puppies even works for a long time. Please do not submit issues about Sand Zone.
- In the last 2 or so releases the game was a bit more laggy. It seems to do with a combination of compiler optimizations and giving SGDK's sprite engine additional VRAM space. So from now on I will stick to the default size and use the free VRAM space for specific objects.
- Sprites are still not sorted. I got too frustrated trying to add my own algorithm and it's really not worth the trouble since Stef is gonna do it anyway.
- The following are fixed and will be closed: #8, #10, #12, #13, #17
- Grasstown is "beatable" again though most enemies do not move
- It is possible to make it to Omega at which point the game will probably soft lock
- Added a proper sprite for Chaco and Curly
- Animation of Quote crashing into King & Toroko finally