I'm Andy Grove, a software engineer specializing in distributed systems and query engines. I am the author of the book How Query Engines Work.
I work for NVIDIA where I contribute to the RAPIDS Accelerator for Apache Spark, which is an open source plugin that provides GPU-acceleration for ETL workloads, leveraging the RAPIDS cuDF GPU DataFrame library which uses the Apache Arrow memory model.
I am a PMC member and active contributor in the Apache Arrow project, where I have made the following donations:
- In 2018, I donated the Rust implementation of Apache Arrow
- In 2019, I donated the DataFusion query engine
- In 2021, I donated the Ballista distributed query scheduler
I am also the original author of the sqlparser-rs crate.
I occasionally work on hobby projects involving digital electronics, microcontrollers, woodworking, and similar skills. Some of my projects have been featured on popular "maker" web sites.
- 11 Arduino projects that require major hacking skills—or a bit of insanity -- Ars Techica
- Dr. Who’s Nemesis, The Dalek, Built With Arduino -- Adafruit Blog
- Ultrasonic pi-ano -- Raspberry Pi Foundation
- Ultrasonic Raspberry Pi Piano -- Hackaday
- Camera competition winners! -- Raspberry Pi Foundation