Passenger stack, zero to hero in under five minutes
Scripts for Sprinkle, the provisioning tool
How to get your sprinkle on:
- Get a brand spanking new slice (ubuntu please)
- Create yourself a user, add yourself to the sudoers file
- Apt-get update
- Set your slices url / ip address in deploy.rb (deploy.rb.example provided)
From your local system (from the passenger-stack directory), run:
sprinkle -c -s install.rb
After you've waited for everything to run, you should have a provisioned slice. Go forth and install your custom configurations, add vhosts and other VPS paraphernalia.
Other things you should probably consider:
- Close everything except for port 80 and 22
- Disallow password logins and use a passphrased RSA key
Wait, what does it install?
- Apache (Apt)
- Ruby enterprise (Source) [includes rubygems]
- Passenger (Rubygem)
- Libmemcached (Source)
- MySQL (Apt)
- Git (Apt)
- Sprinkle (github.com/crafterm/sprinkle)
- An Ubuntu based VPS (known to not work on Debian Etch, haven't looked into why)
Marcus Crafter and other Sprinkle contributors
Don't run this on a system that has already been deemed "in production", its not malicious, but theres a fair chance that you'll ass something up monumentally. You have been warned.