Join GitHub today
Email box Addition
The SAS office receives packages via dedicated organizational mailbox. This page has instructions for setting up the mailbox on Outlook for a new user, plus other administrative matters.
Adding Mailbox to Outlook
- Open Outlook
- Click the FILE menu in the upper left
- A screen will appear. Click the "Account Settings" tile.
- A sub-menu will appear. Click the "Account Settings..." item.
- A window will pop up. Click on the "New" item (it is small and not obvious).
- Click "Next"
- Type in the name of the mailbox: email@example.com
- (Leave the "Password" section blank)
- Click "Next"
- Click "Finish"
- Click "Exit"
- Restart Outlook
- For me, the new mailbox was not immediately visible when Outlook re-opened. Look on the far left of the screen. Your personal mail.mil mailbox will be showing with a little arrowhead to the left of it. Click on the arrowhead so that your personal mailbox and its folders collapse into one line. The new SAS mailbox should then become visible below it. Click on that, and you should be able to read email just as you do in your personal mail.mil mailbox.
Note that the above works only if an owner of the mailbox has added you as a "member" of the mailbox. Currently, you and I are "owners."
Just to reinforce: For any organizational mailbox, Outlook defines "owners" and "members" of the mailbox. Owners can add and delete members but cannot read and send mail. Only members can read and send mail. Thus, you and I need to be both owners and members. I don’t see any reason to add members beyond you and myself. The MDGs will only be sending emails to the SAS mailbox. We will email the signed 422 back to them – no reason for them to get into the SAS mailbox and read our mail.
Adding New Member to Mailbox
Here is how to add a new member (i.e. my replacement, after I’m gone :)):
- In the main Outlook window, click on the "Address Book" button in the upper right of the screen.
- A mailbox search window will pop up. Type the following into the search box: ng ca caang mesg
- You could type more, but at this point you should see the SAS mailbox. Double click on that.
- A window will pop up. On the left side of the window you will see a list of owners of the mailbox. Stupidly, it displays only one owner. On the right side of the window you will see a bigger scrolling list, with a "Modify Members..." button below it. Click the button.
- A tiny window opens. Click the "Add..." button.
- The global search window will open again. Search for the name of the person you want to add. Choose the name. Click "OK"
- Keep clicking "OK" on the various windows. Note: When you get back to the window that lists the members, the new person will NOT show up.
- At some point, only the global search window is left open. Close it.
- Exit Outlook.
To see that the new member has been successfully added, repeat steps 1-4 above. The new person should show up.
On the matter of determining who the owners of the new mailbox are -- The way to do this is to use Outlook Web Access. Under your name in the upper right corner there is an option to display "Groups." For you and me, this SAS mailbox should show up there.
Am not sure if there is a way that you and I can add new owners. We can ask the J6 for help when the time comes.