A collaborative curated list of awesome Ansible resources, tools, Roles, tutorials and other related stuff.
Ansible is an open source toolkit, written in Python, it is used for configuration management, application deployment, continuous delivery, IT infrastructure automation and automation in general.
- Official resources
- Blog posts and opinions
- Playbooks, Roles and Collections
Official resources by and for Ansible.
- Latest Ansible Documentation - Latest user guide and documentation for Ansible.
- Ansible Galaxy Website - Official repository and community site for Ansible Roles.
- Ansible Blog - Official Ansible blog.
Places where to chat with the Ansible community
- About code - GitHub.com/ansible, GitHub.com/ansible-collections and GitHub.com/ansible-community.
- IRC - #ansible, #ansible-devel and #ansible-community amongst others on libera.chat.
- reddit.com/r/ansible - The Ansible subreddit.
- Discord - The Ansible discord.
- ansible.com/community - Twitter, mailing lists, meetups and more.
Tutorials and courses to learn Ansible.
- How To Manage Remote Servers with Ansible - This Tutorial goes over how to use Ansible to manage remote servers.
- Ansible Tutorial by leucos - 12 Step Tutorial for Ansible.
- Programming Community Curated Resources for learning Ansible - A list of recommended resources.
- Ansible TopTechSkills.com Tutorial Series on Ansible - Tutorials on how to Install and use Ansible.
- Official Ansible labs by Red Hat - Training Course for Ansible Automation Platform.
- Ansible Tutorials on DigitalOcean - Basic tutorials on DigitalOcean.com.
- Ansible Tutorial by BlueBanquise team - Basic Ansible tutorial.
- Ansible Tutorial for Beginners: Playbook & Examples - Introduction to Ansible for beginners.
Books about Ansible.
- Ansible for DevOps - This book helps to start using Ansible to provision and manage anywhere from one to thousands of servers. Free sample can be read here.
- Ansible for Kubernetes - Deploy and maintain real-world massively-scalable and high-available applications with Ansible.
- How To Manage Remote Servers with Ansible eBook - This book is based on the "How To Manage Remote Servers with Ansible" tutorial series.
Video tutorials and Ansible training.
- Ansible YouTube Channel - Official Ansible YouTube channel.
- Introduction to Ansible - Introduction to Ansible by Cloud Academy.
- Ansible 101 by Jeff Geerling - Great video series on Ansible, by Jeff Geerling.
- Ansible TopTechSkills.com Tutorial Series on YouTube - Video tutorials on Ansible.
- Ansible Essentials - Course - Free Video Classroom on Ansible essentials by Red Hat.
- Complete Ansible Course 2020 by DevOps Journey - Free Video Course on Ansible including labs to follow along.
- Getting started with Ansible - YouTube tutorial series by LearnLinuxTV.
Tools for and using Ansible.
- Ansible Tower - Ansible Tower by Red Hat helps you scale IT automation, manage complex deployments and speed productivity. Extend the power of Ansible to your entire team.
- AWX - AWX provides a web-based user interface, REST API, and task engine built on top of Ansible. It is the upstream project for Tower, a commercial derivative of AWX.
- Ansible Lint - Checks Playbooks for best practices and behavior that could potentially be improved.
- Ansible Later - Another best practice scanner. Checks Playbooks and Roles for best practices and behavior that could potentially be improved.
- Ansible Doctor - Simple annotation like documentation generator for Ansible roles based on Jinja2 templates.
- Ansible cmdb - Takes the output of Ansible's fact gathering and converts it into a static HTML page.
- ARA - ARA Records Ansible playbooks and makes them easier to understand and troubleshoot with a reporting API, UI and CLI.
- Mitogen for Ansible - Speed up Ansible substantially with Mitogen.
- Molecule - Molecule aids in the development and testing of Ansible roles.
- Packer Ansible Provisioner - This Provisioner can be used to automate VM Image creation via Packer with Ansible.
- Excel Ansible Inventory - Turn any Excel Spreadsheet into an Ansible Inventory.
- terraform.py - Ansible dynamic inventory script for parsing Terraform state files.
- ansible-navigator - A text-based user interface (TUI) for Ansible.
- squest - Self-service portal for Ansible Tower job templates.
- ansible-bender - Tool which bends containers using Ansible playbooks and turns them into container images.
- ansible-runner - A tool and python library that helps when interfacing with Ansible directly or as part of another system whether that be through a container image interface, as a standalone tool, or as a Python module that can be imported.
- ansible-builder - Using Ansible content that depends on non-default dependencies can be tricky. Packages must be installed on each node, play nicely with other software installed on the host system, and be kept in sync.
- kics - SAST Tool that scans your ansible infrastructure as code playbooks for security vulnverables, compliance issues and misconfigurations.
- php-ansible Library - OOP-Wrapper for Ansible, making Ansible available in PHP.
- TD4A - Design aid for building and testing jinja2 templates, combines data in yaml format with a jinja2 template and render the output.
- Ansible Playbook Grapher - Command line tool to create a graph representing your Ansible playbook plays, tasks and roles.
- ansible-doc-extractor - A tool that extracts documentation from Ansible modules in the HTML form.
Blog posts and opinions
Best practices and other opinions on Ansible.
- Ansible (Real Life) Good Practices - Best practice guidelines.
- Testing Ansible Roles Against Windows with Test-Kitchen - Using Test-Kitchen with Ansible to apply playbooks to Windows machines and test them with Pester.
- Ansible Best Practices by AndiDog - Practices covering many aspects of an Ansible setup, including hints to support different environments (testing, staging, production).
- Getting started with Ansible - Introduces Ansible, provides installation instructions and gives an interactive walkthrough of Ansible's basic functionalities, like running Ansible playbooks and installing Ansible content.
- Taking Ansible apart - Describes and shows how most commonly used Ansible components work.
- Ansible – Was ich am Ad-hoc-Modus schätze - Opinion what the author likes about the Ansible Ad-Hoc mode.
Playbooks, Roles and Collections
Awesome production ready Playbooks, Roles and Collections to get you up and running.
- Ansible Vagrant Examples by geerlingguy - Ansible examples using Vagrant to deploy to local VMs.
- Ansible playbook for Linux machine setup - Ansible playbook for setting up a self-updating, hardened Debian/Ubuntu machine with Docker daemon.
- DevSec Hardening Framework - The DevSec collection helps you harden your Linux Based OS as well as MySQL, NGINX and SSH Server/Services.
- T.A.D.S. boilerplate - Provision and deploy a Docker Swarm cluster to development environment and to production. Infrastructure as Code and DevOps best practices.
- Openstack Ansible - Ansible Playbooks for deploying OpenStack.
- DebOps - A extensive collection of Debian based Ansible Playbooks.
- ansible-ssm - An ansible role to provision physical and virtual hosts with the AWS SSM agent.
- BlueBanquise - An ansible coherent roles collection to deploy clusters.