Taverna Project Retired
tl;dr: The Taverna code base is no longer maintained and is provided here for archival purposes.
In 2020 the Taverna community voted to retire Taverna as a project and withdraw the code base from the Apache Software Foundation.
This code base remains available under the Apache License 2.0
(see License below), but is now simply called
Taverna rather than
Apache Taverna (incubating).
While the code base is no longer actively maintained, Pull Requests are welcome to the GitHub organization taverna, which may infrequently be considered by remaining volunteer caretakers.
Releases 2015-2018 during incubation at Apache Software Foundation are available from the ASF Download Archive https://archive.apache.org/dist/incubator/taverna/
Releases 2014 from the University of Manchester are on BitBucket https://bitbucket.org/taverna/
Releases 2009-2013 from myGrid are on LaunchPad https://launchpad.net/taverna/
Releases 2003-2009 are on SourceForge https://sourceforge.net/projects/taverna/files/taverna/
Binary JARs for Taverna are available from Maven Central https://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/org/apache/taverna/ or the myGrid Maven repository https://repository.mygrid.org.uk/
Taverna Common Activities
Common Activities to be invoked as part of Taverna workflows.
Note that this module relies on other Taverna modules for the actual workflow execution.
- (c) 2007-2014 University of Manchester
- (c) 2014-2020 Apache Software Foundation
This product includes software developed at The Apache Software Foundation.
The file NOTICE contains any additional attributions and details about embedded third-party libraries and source code.
- Java 1.8 or newer (tested with OpenJDK 1.8)
- Apache Maven 3.2.5 or newer (older versions probably also work)
Please see the
<properties> of this pom.xml to find the
correct versions to build.
To build, use
mvn clean install
This will build each module and run their tests.
Building on Windows
If you are building on Windows, ensure you unpack this source code
to a folder with a short path name
C:\src - as
Windows has a limitation on the total path length
which might otherwise
prevent this code from building successfully.
To skip the tests (these can be time-consuming), use:
mvn clean install -DskipTests
If you are modifying this source code independent of the Taverna project, you may not want to run the Rat Maven plugin that enforces Apache headers in every source file - to disable it, try:
mvn clean install -Drat.skip=true
Each module implement a particular type of Taverna Activity.
- taverna-beanshell-activity: Taverna Beanshell Activity, runs Beanshell scripts.
- taverna-external-tool-activity: Taverna External Tool Activity, run command line locally or over SSH
- taverna-interaction-activity: Taverna Interaction Activity, ask questions to the user through a browser
- taverna-rest-activity: Taverna REST Activity, invoke RESTful HTTP(S) web services based on a URI template.
- taverna-spreadsheet-import-activity: Taverna Spreadsheet Import Activity, imports from CSV, Excel and OpenOffice.
- taverna-wsdl-activity: Taverna WSDL Activity, invoke WSDL-described SOAP services.
- taverna-wsdl-generic: Taverna WSDL-generic Library, library for parsing WSDL and calling SOAP services
- taverna-xpath-activity: Taverna XPath Activity, select XML fragments using XPath expressions
This distribution includes cryptographic software. The country in which you currently reside may have restrictions on the import, possession, use, and/or re-export to another country, of encryption software. BEFORE using any encryption software, please check your country's laws, regulations and policies concerning the import, possession, or use, and re-export of encryption software, to see if this is permitted. See http://www.wassenaar.org/ for more information.
The U.S. Government Department of Commerce, Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS), has classified this software as Export Commodity Control Number (ECCN) 5D002.C.1, which includes information security software using or performing cryptographic functions with asymmetric algorithms. The form and manner of this Apache Software Foundation distribution makes it eligible for export under the License Exception ENC Technology Software Unrestricted (TSU) exception (see the BIS Export Administration Regulations, Section 740.13) for both object code and source code.
The following provides more details on the included cryptographic software:
Apache HttpComponents Client,
and can be configured to initiate
- taverna-wsdl-generic and taverna-wsdl-activity use Java Secure Socket Extension (JSSE) and depend on Apache WSS4J, Apache XML Security for Java for accessing secure SOAP Web Services.
- Taverna Common Activities depends on the Taverna Engine Credential Manager API for management of username/password and client/server SSL certificates.
- taverna-interaction-activity depends on Jetty, which includes UnixCrypt.java for one way cryptography, and can be configured for SSL encryption using Java Secure Socket Extension.