PROJECT MOVED TO A DEDICATED PROJECT SITE. THIS SITE WILL NOT BE UPDATE ANYMORE BUT WILL BE KEPT FOR HISTORICAL REASONS.
Living Off The Land Binaries and Scripts (and now also Libraries)
There are currently three different lists.
The goal of these lists are to document every binary, script and library that can be used for Living Off The Land techniques.
Definition of LOLBAS candidates (Binaries,scripts and libraries):
- LOLBAS candidates must be present on the system by default or introduced by application/software "installation" from a "reputable" vendor or open-source entity. Otherwise, LOLBAS determination is subject to scrutiny by the (security) community and agreed upon standards.
- Can be used as an attacker tool directly or can perform other actions than what it was intended to do (Ex: regsvr32 - execute code from SCT online)
- executing code
- downloading/upload files
- bypass UAC
- compile code
- getting creds/dumping process
- surveillance (keylogger, network trace)
- evade logging/remove log entry
- side-loading/hijacking of DLL
- pass-through execution of other programs, script (via a LOLBin)
- pass-through persistence utilizing existing LOLBin
- persistence (Hide data in ADS, execute at logon etc)
Right now it is me that decides if the files are a valid contribution or not. I try my best to conclude with help from others in the InfoSec community and I do not wish to exclude anything. Also, please be patient if it takes some time for your contribution to be added to the list. I am just one guy.
Every binary, script and library has it's own .md file in the subfolders. That way I should be easier to maintain and reuse. I have borrowed examples from the community (And a lot from Red Canary - Atomic Red Team - Thanks @subtee) Would really love if the community could contribute as much as possible. That would make it better for everyone. If you think it is hard to make a pull request using github, don't hesitate to send me a tweet and I will add the contribution for you.
"Living off the land" was coined by Matt Graeber - @mattifestation <3
One of the first "Living Off The Land" talks (That I know of) is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-r6UonEkUw
The term LOLBins came from a twitter discussion on what to call these binaries. It was first proposed by Philip Goh - @MathCasualty here: https://twitter.com/MathCasualty/status/969174982579273728
The term LOLScripts came from Jimmy - @bohops: https://twitter.com/bohops/status/984828803120881665
Common hashtags for these files are:
A "highly scientific poll" was also conducted to agree (69% yes) on the name LOLBins. https://twitter.com/Oddvarmoe/status/985432848961343488
The domain http://lolbins.com has been registered by an unknown individual and redirected it to this project. (Thank you)
The awesome logos in the logo folder was provided by Adam Nadrowski (@_sup_mane) - Thank you so much man!
Future work / Todo list
- Better classification system
- Load DLL
- Arbitrary unsigned code execution
- Launch other process
- Better contribution template
- Provide the project in DB format (sqlite)
- Re-factor project (version 2.0) and move it to a dedicated project site (https://github.com/LOLBAS-Project)
- Map it to the Mitre Att&ck <3
- More list based on classifications
- LOLBAS lists for Linux? OSX?