Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Welcome to AppJS
AppJS is an SDK to develop desktop applications using Node.js melded with Chromium.
With AppJS you can develop desktop tools and applications using the same libraries and knowledge used to build websites and web applications. You get all the following in one package:
- JS, HTML5, CSS, SVG, WebGL — by Chromium
- mature HTTP/HTTPS servers and client APIs — by Node.js
- filesystem, DNS, cryptography, subprocesses, OS APIs — by Node.js
- sandboxed code execution environements, virtual machines — by Node.js
IRC: #appjs on freenode. You are welcome !
Map view of the stars to the AppJS github repo
AppJS and Rich Internet Application frameworks already tested
These are some of the first pages you should read, they're very short and will get you familiar with how simple it is to develop applications with AppJS!
- App Folder Structure: an overview of the anatomy of an AppJS application.
app object: the
appobject creates windows and menus.
- CEF Events: a list of events that fire so you can set up listeners instead of making gordian knots from callback functions.
- Packaging Your App.: since AppJS applications are inherently portable, there isn't much to packaging them up.
- Community Apps.: a list of applications built on AppJS.
Then, check out the code samples listed below or just browse the wiki pages.
There is an in depth tutorial available elsewhere, it may help.
Deploying nodejs in AppJS
- Use DOM events to coordinate execution and using Nodejs's "process" and "require" with the DOM
- Adding nodejs's "module", "require", and "process" to the browser global object
- Extending nodejs's module system into the browser context
- Node's console into Chrome's console
- Install and use a third party nodejs module
- Injecting jQuery into a page and scraping links
- Using express to handle local http requests
If you would like to build AppJS from source, there are directions at Building AppJS