Careers @ Appknox
Wanna be a KnoxStar? We are Hiring!
We have built some Microservices, Device Farms (Android & iOS) & IDE Plugins with Python/Django, Node, Java, Ember to help developers and enterprises to automatically detect and fix security loopholes in their Mobile (iOS, Android, Windows, etc.) / IoT Apps within a few minutes. Before you wonder: No, you need not know anything at all about security to apply for tech positions in Appknox. We have expericed security professionals on-board who will give us scripts to detect vulnerabilities. Our job is to refine it and integrate it with the whole system. Only requirement to apply for Appknox is to know how to write good code.
Our tech team is close-knit family of handful of developers. But the size of company is about 25+ people strong (security, sales, marketing, design & other teams). The tech team intentionally tried being as small as possible for as long as possible. Because we love to do as much work as we can - on our own. Only hire when we can no longer handle things on our own. It gives you a lot of oppurtunity to learn a lot of things.
We are very picky about hiring. Because the core members will set the engineering culture that the entire tech team will follow in the future. Which means the core team should reflect the kind of culture we wish to have at out startup: A close knit family of learners trying to leave behind a mark in the world. To make today - safer & better than yesterday - however small the change may be. This is what it means to be a KnoxStar.
If you have been under a rock since last 10 years and do not know what
Joel Test is, click here.
It is a 15 years-old test. A bit outdated for the modern startups. This is an updated version of the test. You can read more about the updated test here.
|Do you use source control?||Y|
|Can you build and deploy your software in one step?||Y|
|Do you build on every commit?||Y|
|Do you have a bug database?||Y|
|Do you fix bugs before writing new code?||Y|
|Do you measure your progress in terms of value delivered?||Y|
|Do you write test-cases?||Y|
|Does your environment foster collaboration?||Y|
|Do you use the best tools money can buy?||y (Partial Yes)|
|Is testing everyone's responsibility?||Y|
|Do new candidates write code during their interview?||Y|
|Do you do hallway usability testing?||Y|
Test Score: 11.5 (out of 12)
Common Requirements & Responsibilities
- You are responsible for growing your team
- You take ownership of the product/service you are writing
- You are able to write clean, pragmatic and testable code
- Comfortable with basic unix commands (+ Shell scripting)
- Very Proficient in Git & GitHub
- Proficient in English
- Have a GitHub & StackOverflow profile
- Proficient in writing test-first code (a.k.a Writing testable code)
- Make sure you read our architecture blog post before applying. You dont have to understand everything there. But just a high-level understanding would be a huge plus
- You have your own Linux / Mac machine
- Windows is allowed iff you are a windows power-user and capable of setting up dev environment that is identical to Linux/Mac
- Any other tech-skill that you have that are not in job requirements (be sure to mention in the mail)
- Can play Counter-Strike (Optional. It's okay if you cannot play Counter Strike - we will teach you)
- The number of years may not matter if you show promising skills
- Fullstack Engineer [Min. 5 years of experience]
- Security Researcher & Analyst [Min. 1.5 years of experience]
These positions are currently filled at the moment. You can still send us your resumes for future reference, but we are not hiring for these roles at the moment.
These roles are no longer applicable to Appknox.
- Java Developer [Min. 3 years of experience] (Archived)
- Software Engineer (XCode) [Min. 3 years of experience]
We are not entertaining any Interns at the moment. Should that change anytime in the future - we'll update it here. So
Watch our repo for changes.
The Interview Process
The interview process in the order:
- A programming challenge (If your GitHub/Bitbucket/StackOverflow profile is impressive or if have an impressive portfolio - we will not ask you to take these challenges. You can skip this, as you have already proven yourself, and get to next step)
- Phone/Skype/Hangouts interview (personal + past experiences + little bit of tech) with our Tech Team
- One week paid-trial. You have to our office and work with us for a week (Monday to Friday). If everything goes well, you will be hired. You will get paid for the work whether your get hired or not.
- Play Counter-Strike as a right of passage and become a KnoxStar :) [optional]
- Competitive Market Salary
- Free Food (Snacks + Tea)
- Free tickets to conferences related to your profession [PyCon, JSFoo, etc]
- Flexible office timings
- Work from home options (infrequent / limited no of days)
- Counter-Strike office party (this happens often)
- Monthly Pizza or Beer party
- Barbecue @ Appknox Terrace on special occasions (veg & non-veg)
- Random trips to random places
- Time for open-source contribution (to things that we use here at Appknox)
- You can open-source any component that you write (As long as it does not contain business logic / secret sauce)
How to apply?
Email engineering[at]appknox[dot]com with the role that you are applying in the subject and with GitHub, StackOverflow, personal site (or any link that you think might be useful in evaluating you), etc in the body. Resumes are okay - but not really valuable for evaluation.
Once we receive your mail - we will send you the programming challenges. You can take as much time as you want to complete the challenges (But the sooner is better. The timings will be evaluated too).
This is our current tech-team (In the order of Date of Joining):
- @subho007 (CTO)
- @yashwin (Frontend Developer)
- @cosmosgenius (Backend Developer)
- @Praseetha-KR (Backend Developer)
Not sure if you will be having good time at Appknox? Feel free to contact our Ex-KnoxStars and ask them about their experience with Appknox. In fact, we recommend it. Be #ProactiveAlways. Here is a complete list of all the Ex-KnoxStars (In the order of date of leaving):
- @manjunath-satyamurthy (Full-Stack)
- @rmad17 (Full-Stack)
- @jitk14 (Full-Stack & Java Developer)
- @darshanime (Backend engineer)
- @viren-nadkarni (Product Development Engineer)
- @ChillarAnand (Backend engineer)
- @hemansutanty (Product Development Engineer)
- @dhilipsiva (Tech Lead / Full-Stack / DevOps)
- @subhaminion (Software Developer)
Issues / Questions?
Please Create a new issue if you found a issue / have a question. PRs are welcomed!