Be notified of new releases
Create your free GitHub account today to subscribe to this repository for new releases and build software alongside 28 million developers.Sign up
These are the release notes for appleseed 1.1.0-beta.
Note: we now switched to plain simple semantic versioning.
The following people contributed code for this release: François Beaune, Esteban Tovagliari.
This is the first release that can be used with Image Engine's Gaffer:
appleseed's internal color pipeline will now remain in pure RGB mode for as long as possible, and will automatically switch to spectral mode when necessary. This results in better color fidelity when using RGB colors only.
Object and assembly instances now support visibility flags:
By default, all flags are set, i.e. we have:
<object_instance name="myInstance" object="myObject"> <parameters name="visibility"> <parameter name="camera" value="true" /> <parameter name="light" value="true" /> <parameter name="shadow" value="true" /> <parameter name="transparency" value="true" /> <parameter name="probe" value="true" /> <parameter name="diffuse" value="true" /> <parameter name="glossy" value="true" /> <parameter name="specular" value="true" /> </parameters> </object_instance>
The physical sun light model is now fully functional.
The sampling of microfacet BSDF has been improved. Scenes using those BSDFs will render with less noise with the same number of samples:
- Added Ashikhmin-Shirley and Phong OSL closures.
- Fixed a regression in the way bump mapping is computed.
- Fixed directional light when instantiated in scaled assemblies.
- Fixed possible artifacts with directional lights.
- Fixed multiple instancing of point, spot, directional and sun lights.
- Fixed automatic updated of project files from revision 7 to revision 8.
- Fixed a crash when an OSL shader cannot be found.
- Fixed a crash when vertex normals of a triangle are absent.
- Fixed horizontal/vertical shifting in latitude-longitude environment EDF.
- The bump offset is now adjustable via the
bump_offsetmaterial parameter. The default value is 2 (texels).
- Don't replace spaces by underscores in AOV file names.
- Search paths may now be added using the
APPLESEED_SEARCHPATHenvironment variable (paths must be separated with
- Project file parsing errors now include approximate line and column numbers.
- Renamed inputs of point, spot, directional and sun lights according to the actual physical quantities they represent. As always, projects will be automatically updated, project files remain fully backward-compatible.
- Fixed installation of appleseed.python on OSX.
- Added a version header in renderer/api that can be used by clients of the C++ API.
- Fixed crashes and user interface issues in the Disney material editor.
- Fixed bug: the entity browser would not show colors and textures from parent assemblies or from the scene.
- Fixed intermittent rendering interruptions during live scene edition.
- Fixed crash after deleting an assembly from a scene that had already been rendered.
- Automatic adjustment of sliders range now works with negative values.
- Exposed previously missing methods in Assembly, Object and Texture entities.
- New command line tool
dumpmetadatato dump entity metadata as XML or Markdown.
- Added a
--passescommand line option to appleseed.cli.
- If an
output_filenameparameter is present in the frame, appleseed.cli will now write the main output image to disk. If an
output_aovsparameter is also present, it will also write the AOVs to disk.