These are the release notes for appleseed 1.2.0-beta.
The following people contributed code for this release: François Beaune, John Haddon, Hans Hoogenboom, Esteban Tovagliari.
Added ray differentials for primary rays, screen-space derivatives and texture filtering for OSL shaders:
OSL bump mapping is now supported:
Added a new Velvet BRDF:
Added support for photon targets. Photon targets are used by the SPPM engine to shoot photons toward volumes of interests (such as a window in a wall).
A photon target can be defined by adding a "photon_target" parameter with value "true" to an object instance:
<object_instance name="window_inst" object="window"> <parameter name="photon_target" value="true" /> ... </object_instance>
We now ship the beginnings of an OSL node library.
Surface shaders in materials are now optional. If a material doesn't have a surface shader assigned to it, it will use the scene's default surface shader (which is a physical surface shader with all inputs set to their default values).
- The sampling mode (RNG, QMC) can now be switched at runtime. The default is RNG.
- Implemented an orthographic camera model.
- Added support for motion-blurred vertex normals and vertex tangents.
- Added "Color" diagnostic mode.
- Added support for OSL background closures.
- Added compile-time and run-time appleseed version information for OSL shaders.
- Default tile ordering is now 'spiral' instead of 'hilbert'.
- Use barycentric coordinates when UV coordinates are not available.
- Don't trace environment photons if IBL is disabled.
- Fixed crash with OSL materials without shaders.
- Fixed Disney BRDF bug when all component weights are zero.
- Fixed crash in SPPM lighting engine with large number of photons + Disney BRDFs.
- Properly handle empty scenes in SPPM lighting engine.
- Make sure OIIO texture files get closed when rendering terminates.
- Fixed bug in Blinn microfacet sampling code.
- Take into account shutter times when doing deformation motion blur.
- Fixed crash when rendering triangles with more than one motion segment.
- Fixed OIIO texture cache size.
- Improved OIIO/OSL-related log output.
- The geometric normal is now always front-facing in the absence of per-vertex normals.
- Threads are now named.
- Fixed non-determinism in rendered images in progressive rendering mode with a limited max number of samples.
- Fixed bump/normal mapping for Disney material.
- Fixed alpha mapping for Disney material.
- Removed redundant 'alpha' and 'color' parameters in
- Fixed crash when a curve object has a light-emitting material.
- Right-clicking in the render widget will now bring the context menu of the entity underneath the mouse cursor.
- The camera pivot point can now be set by clicking on an object and pressing 'f'.
- Preserve outside pixels when setting a render region.
- Improved responsiveness of appleseed.studio during interactive rendering.
- Added a way to assign new Disney materials to multiple object instances at once.
- When creating a new assembly, automatically create an instance of that assembly.
- Always expand top-level Assemblies and Assembly Instances items, and if there's a single assembly item, expand it as well.
- Print world coordinates of picking point.
- Display supported file formats (by OIIO) when picking texture file to use in Disney material.
- Remember last directory and filter string in all file dialogs.
- Increased number of recently opened project files from 5 to 15.
- Prevent appleseed.studio from closing when a project is being loaded.
- Fixed an occasional crash with the pixel tracker (that prints RGBA values of the pixel under the mouse cursor).
- When importing a Disney material, rename it if there is already a material with the same name.
- Apply changes after assigning texture to color input of Disney material via texture file picker in Attribute Editor.
- Changed type of horizontal FOV inputs from text to numeric.
- Don't adjust range of slider when input value is empty.
- After importing a Disney material, select it.
- Only show the Attribute Editor if a single entity is selected.
- Started adding help strings to entity inputs.
- Fixed possible crash when an
appleseed.MasterRendererinstance is garbage collected.
appleseed.Project.get_metadata()to retrieve configurations metadata.
get_model_metadata()methods to all appleseed entities.
oslextractmeta.pyis a new Python script to extract metadata from OSL shaders.
rfmdisneypresets2appleseed.pyis a new Python script to convert RenderMan-for-Maya Disney BRDF presets to appleseed materials.
maketiledexr. Use the provided