These are the release notes for appleseed 1.5.0-beta.
The following people contributed code for this release: François Beaune, Ramon Blanquer, John Haddon, Esteban Tovagliari.
(appleseed render by François Gilliot, inspired by ferronne's amazing Revolution glassware collection.)
- Massive scaling, responsiveness and speed improvements during interactive rendering.
- Added support for parametric surface generation (plane, sphere and torus are currently implemented).
- Diffuse Mean Free Path inputs in BSSRDFs are now colors instead of scalars.
- Improved handling of asset files referenced by projects. In particular, textures referenced by SeExpr expressions are now properly tracked as project dependencies (#575).
- Improved UV diagnostic surface shader.
- Added facing ratio diagnostic shader.
- Added background environment shader to shade the background with a solid color or a texture.
- Fixed default range for IOR inputs.
- Allow negative number of rendering threads (#774).
- Added optional automatic computation of smooth normals and tangents on mesh objects at loading time.
- Added support for environment transforms.
- Fixed wrong background color for colored messages in console on Windows (#1037).
- BSSRDFs now benefit from automatic IOR tracking; replaced Inside/Outside IOR with a single IOR value.
- Print more rendering settings when rendering starts.
- Changed default tile ordering to spiral.
- Changed default reconstruction filter to 1.5-pixel Blackman-Harris.
- Emit proper error messages when texture files referenced in SeExpr expressions cannot be loaded.
- Emit proper error messages when failing to write project files to disk.
- Fixed crash at exit time in appleseed.cli in benchmark mode.
- Fixed several problems with the glass BSDF.
- Fixed crash when loading deforming meshes without normals.
- Fixed bug when path tracing a scene with specular BSDFs and a limited number of bounces.
- Improved reporting and handling of invalid pixel samples.
- Reduced startup time and memory usage in scenes with multiple lat-long environment EDFs.
- Print full paths of entities instead of just entity names in log messages.
- Improved the
- Added Mari-style UDIM support to texture shaders.
- Allows negative values of anisotropy in the Disney closure.
- Improved the way entities bound to inputs are shown and behave.
- Fixed crash when rendering the current project, after loading another project failed.
- Persist the state of geometry of windows, dialogs and dockable panels.
- No longer print camera settings every time the camera changes.
- Fixed the file picker in entity edtor: file changes were not applied unless Enter was pressed.
- Expose methods to set and retrieve the frame's crop window in appleseed.python.
- Command line tools now load their settings from
- Message verbosity of all tools can now be set in settings files. Default verbosity is Info.