We recently started a new open source project - a nosql database called AvocadoDB which became ArangoDB in May 2012. The current stable version of ArangoDB is 1.0. A multi server version is planned for the end of 2012. For details see the roadmap.
Key features include:
- Schema-free schemata let you combine the space efficiency of MySQL with the performance power of NoSQL
- Use ArangoDB as an application server and fuse your application and database together for maximal throughput
- ArangoDB is multi-threaded - exploit the power of all your cores
- Flexible data modeling: model your data as combination of key-value pairs, documents or graphs - perfect for social relations
- Free index choice: use the correct index for your problem, be it a skip list or a n-gram search
- Configurable durability: let the application decide if it needs more durability or more performance
- No-nonsense storage: ArangoDB uses all of the power of modern storage hardware, like SSD and large caches
- Powerful query language (AQL) to retrieve data
- It is open source (Apache Licence 2.0)
For more in-depth information
- read more on the design goals of ArangoDB
- watch the video - Martin Schoenert, architect of ArangoDB, gives an introduction of what the ArangoDB project is about.
- or give it a try.
Please check the wiki for installation and compilation instructions:
Mac OS X Hints
On Mac OS X you can install ArangoDB using the packagemanager Homebrew:
brew install arangodb(use
--HEADin order to build ArangoDB from current master)
This will install ArangoDB and all dependencies. Note that the server will be installed as
The ArangoDB shell will be install as
Start the server:
> mkdir /tmp/vocbase > bin/arangod /tmp/vocbase 2012-03-30T12:54:19Z  INFO ArangoDB (version 1.x.y) is ready for business 2012-03-30T12:54:19Z  INFO Have Fun!
Start the shell in another windows:
Please note that this is a very early version of ArangoDB. There will be bugs and we'd really appreciate it if you report them: