Full Vim integration in Atom. Unlike vim-mode, Chalocgen embeds an actual Vim process using vimbed to give you all of Vim's functionality.
(Currently in proof-of-concept stage)
- Chalcogen requires Atom and Vim(your version needs to have +clientserver).
- Chalcogen works best in GNU/Linux.
- Chalcogen also works in OSX, but doing so requires XQuartz. (This is a requirement of vim's +clientserver functionality.)
Step 1: If you don't have the vimbed plugin, install it first using your plugin-manager. If you use pathogen:
cd ~/.vim/bundle git clone http://github.com/ardagnir/vimbed
Step 2: Clone chalcogen to your Atom plugin directory
mkdir ~/.atom/packages cd ~/.atom/packages git clone http://github.com/ardagnir/chalcogen
Step 3: Chalcogen is deactivated by default. Use Chalcogen:toggle or press Control-Alt-v to turn it on.
- All the main vim modes should work, including ex commands.
- Mouse support works.
- Tabs are mostly working, and you should be able to add/remove tabs using vim commands or the atom-gui, but it's not perfect.
- There's a lot of bugs. Chalcogen is unfinished and so is Atom.
- Splits aren't supported yet. Atom and Vim handle splits differently and it's going to take some work to implement vim-style splits in Atom.