Vimbed is a Vim plugin for embedding Vim in other programs. Run Vim in the background using Vimbed to ease communication with external processes.
Projects that use Vimbed
- Athame patches GNU Readline to embed Vim in bash, gdb, python, etc. Athame can also be used to patch Zsh to add Vim.
- Pterosaur embeds Vim in Firefox textboxes. (No longer maintained)
- Chalcogen embeds Vim in the Atom editor. (Experimental. Not maintained)
- Vimbed requires Vim with +clientserver.
- Vimbed works best in GNU/Linux.
- Vimbed also works in OSX, but doing so requires XQuartz. (This is a requirement of vim's +clientserver functionality.)
Install vimbed with your favorite plugin-manager. If you use pathogen:
cd ~/.vim/bundle git clone http://github.com/ardagnir/vimbed
Note that vimbed won't be very useful without another process to communicate with.
Coming eventually. Until then, see Athame, Pterosaur, and Chalcogen for examples.