Minimal Jekyll Theme
Minimal Jekyll Theme is a two column, responsive Jekyll theme with large featured images and solid typography. It is derived from the wonderful work of Michael Rose. I loved his Minimal Mistakes theme, and have tried to tune it to my needs.
Few of the additions include:
- Support for multiple author attribution in a blog. This includes both different authors for various posts, as well as multiple authors per post.
- Switched to using the gorgeous textures of Virginie Moerenhout
Minimal Jeykll Theme is all about:
- Responsive templates. Looking good on mobile, tablet, and desktop.
- Gracefully degrading in older browsers. Compatible with Internet Explorer 8+ and all modern browsers.
- Minimal embellishments --- content first.
- Large feature images for posts and pages.
- Author sidebar to pimp your bio, photo[^1], and social media links.
- Simple and clear permalink structure (ie: domain.com/category/post-title)
Basic Setup for a new Jekyll site
- Install Bundler
gem install bundlerand then install Jekyll and all dependencies
- Fork the Minimal Mistakes repo.
- Clone the repo you just forked and rename it.
_config.ymlto personalize your site.
- Check out the sample posts in
_poststo see examples for pulling in large feature images, assigning categories and tags, and other YAML data.
I'm personally a fan of more liberal licenses, but this theme is a derivate of Michael's work, which was distributed under the GNU General Public License version 2 or later.