A Slack bot that encourages chance encounters by asking people what they're passionate about and posting their responses in a daily digest.
- A server running Node (I use Heroku, and the instructions below focus on installing for Heroku)
- A MongoDB database (also obtained through Heroku)
- A Slack app with an accompanying API token
- A channel named "serendipity" on your organization's Slack
- Clone or download this repository.
- Start a new Heroku instance. You can either do this through the Heroku GUI online, if you'd like, or follow the CLI directions here: https://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/getting-started-with-nodejs#deploy-the-app. (You'll have to download the Heroku toolkit.)
- On your Heroku app's dashboard, add a mLab MongoDB add-on. The "Sandbox" tier is free, and you shouldn't need more than that.
- In your Heroku app's settings, add a
SLACK_API_TOKENenvironmental variable. You can get this from your Slack app's dashboard.
- Restart your Heroku instance on the CLI with
Your bot should show up as active in Slack!