+++ title = "About" date = "2018-10-05" +++
I also work at Microsoft as a Cloud Developer Advocate (CDA), where I focus there on Kubernetes / Containers, Go and emerging languages.
What is it You'd Say You Do Here?
Here's what I'm up to these days:
- I created and produce Go in 5 Minutes
- I started and run the North America chapter of the Go Study Groups
- I'm a core maintainer of The Athens Project
- I'm an emeritus chair of the Kubernetes SIG-Service-Catalog
In my 15+ years in software engineering, I've worked in lots of different roles. Here are some of them:
- I helped build a video aggregation system for capturing and publishing university lectures. We attached Mac Minis with webcams to carts and rolled them in and out of lecture halls.
- I was a C++ / Cocoa engineer at Microsoft on the Office for Mac team. We figured out how to run (and ship!) lots of the code from Windows Office on a Mac
- I wrote Newman, which was the first REST client library for Scala. It takes prior art from Scalaz and other "hardcore" functional programming concepts and presents them as a slick API. I wrote about it here
- I helped build a "third party code execution platform" on top of the JVM. It was essentially containers as a service, but just for JVM languages. We used the JVM to constrain resources and provide jails.