dupeGuru is a cross-platform (Linux, OS X, Windows) GUI tool to find duplicate files in a system. It's written mostly in Python 3 and has the peculiarity of using multiple GUI toolkits, all using the same core Python code. On OS X, the UI layer is written in Objective-C and uses Cocoa. On Linux, it's written in Python and uses Qt5.
The Cocoa UI of dupeGuru is hosted in a separate repo: https://github.com/hsoft/dupeguru-cocoa
Current status: Additional Maintainers Wanted (/ Note on Things in General)
When I started contributing to dupeGuru, it was to help provide an updated Windows build for dupeGuru. I hoped to contribute more over time and help work through some of the general issues as well. Since Virgil Dupras left as the lead maintainer, I have not been able to devote enough time to work through as many issues as I had hoped. Now I am going to be devoting a more consistent amount of time each month to work on dupeGuru, however I will not be able to get to all issues. Additionally there are a few specific areas where additional help would be appreciated:
- OSX maintenance
- UI issues (I have no experience with cocoa)
- General issues & releases (I lack OSX environments / hardware to develop and test on, looking into doing builds through Travis CI.)
- Linux maintenance
- Packaging (I have not really done much linux packaging yet, although will be spending some time trying to get at least .deb and potentially ppa's updated.)
I am still working to update the new site & update links within the help and the repository to use the new urls. Additionally, hoping to get a 4.0.4 release out this year for at least Windows and Linux.
Contents of this folder
This folder contains the source for dupeGuru. Its documentation is in
help, but is also
available online in its built form. Here's how this source tree is organised:
- core: Contains the core logic code for dupeGuru. It's Python code.
- qt: UI code for the Qt toolkit. It's written in Python and uses PyQt.
- images: Images used by the different UI codebases.
- pkg: Skeleton files required to create different packages
- help: Help document, written for Sphinx.
- locale: .po files for localisation.
There are also other sub-folder that comes from external repositories and are part of this repo as git submodules:
- hscommon: A collection of helpers used across HS applications.
- qtlib: A collection of helpers used across Qt UI codebases of HS applications.
How to build dupeGuru from source
For windows instructions see the Windows Instructions.
- Python 3.4+
dupeGuru is built with "make":
$ make $ make run
Generate Ubuntu packages
$ bash -c "pyvenv --system-site-packages env && source env/bin/activate && pip install -r requirements.txt && python3 build.py --clean && python3 package.py"
The complete test suite is run with Tox 1.7+. If you have it installed system-wide, you
don't even need to set up a virtualenv. Just
cd into the root project folder and run
If you don't have Tox system-wide, install it in your virtualenv with
pip install tox and then
You can also run automated tests without Tox. Extra requirements for running tests are in
requirements-extra.txt. So, you can do
pip install -r requirements-extra.txt inside your
virtualenv and then
py.test core hscommon