This node.js example connector allows you to make your Teneo bot available on WhatsApp using the Twilio API for WhatsApp. This guide will take you through the steps of setting up a Twilio WhatsApp sandbox phone number and deploying the connector so it can respond to messages sent using WhatsApp.
Note that the Twilio API for WhatsApp is currently in Beta and is subject to change before becoming generally available.
Making the connector available via https is preferred. Ngrok is recommended for this.
Your bot needs to be published and you need to know the engine url.
Download, install and start connector
- Download or clone the connector source code:
git clone https://github.com/artificialsolutions/tie-api-example-twilio-whatsapp.git
- Install dependencies by running the following command in the folder where you stored the source:
- Start the connector with the following command (replacing the environment variable with the appropriate value):
TENEO_ENGINE_URL=<your_engine_url> node server.js
Make the connector available via https
You can make your locally running connector available via https using ngrok as follows:
- The connector runs on port 4337 by default, so execute the following command:
ngrok http 4337
- Running the command above will display a public https URL, copy it, we will use it in the following steps.
Setup a Twilio WhatsApp phone number
- Setup a free Twilio account, which comes with free credit money you can spend on buying a number.
- Go to the left pane menu and click the Programmable SMS item, then from the submenu choose WhatsApp.
- Follow the instructions in the Learn submenu to set up your testing sandbox by sending a specific WhatsApp message provided on the page to the phone number provided on the page.
- Next, in the Sandbox submenu add the https URL you copied earlier to the When a message comes in field. Hit save at the bottom of the page.
That's it! Now you can use WhatsApp to interact with your bot!
Running the connector on Heroku
Click the button below to deploy the connector to Heroku:
In the 'Config Vars' section, add the following:
- TENEO_ENGINE_URL: The engine url
Next, follow the 'Setup a Twilio WhatsApp phone number' instructions above. Make sure that in the step 4 you set the 'When a message comes in' URL to the url of the Heroku app.
Twilio API for WhatsApp
The Twilio API for Whatsapp is currently in beta. For more details, visit the Twilio website: Twilio API for WhatsApp.