WTS3's official build environment is QtCreator + MinGW/MSYS.
- WTS3 is dynamically linked to Qt libraries and statically to portaudio / ffmpeg. Combining dynamic and static linking is broken in MinGW 4.4 that comes with QtCreator 2.3.0 (QtSDK 1.1.3). The problem is solved in MinGW 4.5, which is what we use.
- WTS3 build system uses
mvcommand line utilities that aren't supplied with the QtSDK. At the moment this means we need e.g. MSYS on Windows
- ffmpeg. I build against ffmpeg-8.5.0
- portaudio v19. I build against a stable snapshot from 2011-03-26.
My source tree looks like:
WTS3- sources root, contains prerequisites and our own sources
WatchThatSound- our repository clone, name doesn't really matter
I build the prerequisites in MSYS command prompt like:
cd portaudio PATH=/bin:/mingw/bin ./configure --disable-shared --enable-static make cd .. cd ffmpeg PATH=/bin:/mingw/bin ./configure \ --disable-doc \ --disable-ffmpeg \ --disable-ffplay \ --disable-ffprobe \ --disable-ffserver \ --disable-avdevice \ --disable-avfilter \ --disable-network \ --disable-pthreads \ --disable-yasm make cd ..
We could probably disable more to speed up building, but we don't.
It is possible to build portaudio with alternative backend, e.g. DirectSound. This requires different configure command:
CFLAGS='-DWINVER=0x0501' PATH=/bin:/mingw/bin ./configure \ --disable-shared --enable-static \ --with-winapi=wmme,directx \ --with-dxdir=../dx9mgw
The above command assumes that you have Direct x SDKfor mingw in
dx9mgw directory under the source root. The SDK can be downloaded from
As mentioned above, current version of QtCreator (QtSDK 1.1.3 at the moment of writing) comes with broken MinGW (todo: link to stackoverflow discussion). To be able to use alternative MinGW we need to configure QtCreator first.
- Install MinGW 4.5 (did it already to build prerequisites)
- Add it as available toolchain to QtCreator
- Configure the project to use this toolchain
Further, it is necessary to make sure that MSYS tools are available in
the build environment: the path
c:\MinGW\msys\1.0\bin has to be
prepended to the build PATH.