- This addon is now dead and is no longer being maintained
- Most of the core features have been migrated over to Legends of Dota
- There is a good chance that eventually the more fun gamemodes will be taken from Frota and put into Legends of Dota
An addon for Dota 2, It is a framework for sub game modes. Players connect to a server, then vote on what they would like to play, the most popular choice is loaded, people play it, then voting happens again.
- All Pick
- You can select your hero from the picking screen
- Legends of Dota
- It has a fully working drag and drop gui
- A ready system is in place, and a time limit for picking exists (2 mins by default)
- There are GUI indicators to show what skills / hero each player has selected
- There is a fully working drag and drop, hero selector
- Random OMG
- Seems to work, you get a random hero, 3 skills and an ult
- Pure Skill
- Play as pudge with meat hook, sacred arrow, skewer and ice shards, each spell has no mana cost!
- Custom hook related stuff is slowly being added, as well as upgrades
- Invoker Wars
- You get 4 spells with no mana cost to wreck havok.
- Puck Wars
- Play as Puck, most of Puck's spells have no mana cost.
- Tiny Wars
- Players spawn as tiny, all of his spells have no mana cost.
- Earth Spirit Wars
- Dota's a balance of imbalance, right?
- Riki Wars
- Play as riki, get free dust ??? profit
- Kunkka Wars
- Kunkka is a pirate.
- PvP Arena
- A PvP arena game mode
- King of the Hill
- Fight to get more players on top of the point than the enemy team.
- get the gem, keep the gem
- Capture the Flag
- Steal and return the enemies' flag while protecting your own.
- Rabbits vs. Sheep
- What does the Rabbit say?
- Zombie Survival
- Survive waves of zombies attacking you!
Picking + Gameplay Gamemodes
Warlocks Play as a novice warlock, haphazardly blinking around the map and play hot potato with an unstable spell. Sun Strike Wars One player spawns with Sun Strike and has to kill all the other players with it.
- When you kill someone, they become the same hero as you, when everyone is the same hero, the game is over.
- Defense of RuneHill
- Defend 22 waves of enemies and protect your rune top
- WTF Mode
- Players have the option to turn WTF Mode on, making all spells have no cooldown.
- Free Blink Dagger
- Everyone will spawn with a free blink dagger.
- No Buying
- Items can't be bought from the shop.
DM Mode Every time you die, you respawn as a new hero!
- Every time a hero kills creep or another hero, he grows a little bit.
- Unlimited Mana
- Players have max mana regen.
- Spawn Protection
- Heroes will be momentarily invulnerable when they spawn.
- Lucky Items
- Get random items as the game progresses.
- Bonus Gold Per Second
- Gives players gold every second.
- You can play this on D2Ware servers here: http://d2ware.net
How do I use this?
- Keep in mind it is still in development, and may be buggy
- IMPORTANT Dota will only load the first plugin in your addons folder, to prevent this, move all other addons out of your addons folder. (I moved mine into an addons_disabled folder) - ONLY the host has to do this. This is not required if you use d2fixups
- There is another guide here: http://www.reddit.com/r/Dota2Modding/comments/1v3ywq/custom_gamemodes_how_to_play_frota_and_set_up/
- Download the zip (or clone if you are good enough)
- Stick the files into "Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\addons\Frota"
- If done correctly, the following folder should exist "Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\addons\Frota\HudSRC"
- Reopen dota after each install / update (hud might not update)
- Run the following command
- dota_local_addon_enable 1;dota_local_addon_game Frota;dota_local_addon_map Frota;dota_force_gamemode 15;update_addon_paths;dota_wait_for_players_to_load 0;dota_wait_for_players_to_load_timeout 10;map riverofsouls;
- NOTE If you reach the hero selection screen, it means Frota didn't load correctly! Frota should override / skip the hero selection screen, and take you directly to a vote screen! Please ensure you removed Frostivus (and any other addons) and then restart your client.
How do I play with friend?
- You need to setup a dedicated server, and port forward (or, you can use hamachi, but port forward is easier)
- Follow the guide here: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showpost.php?p=1911667&postcount=64
- Your addons folder should look like this (note: No DLL files are pictured) http://i.imgur.com/sUtBFki.jpg
- Google how to port forward, it is different for every router!
More SRCDS Setup Help
- To debug, try adding -condebug to the SRCDS launch parameters, this will log all the server output to server/dota/console.log, you can check for errors in there
- Here's a set of working launch parameters
- srcds.exe -console -game dota +maxplayers 10 +hostport 27015 -condebug -dev +exec someconfig +map riverofsouls.bsp
- NOTE: You need to create server/dota/cfg/someconfig.cfg and add the following to it to make it work:
- dota_local_addon_enable 1;dota_local_addon_game Frota;dota_local_addon_map Frota;dota_force_gamemode 15;update_addon_paths
- NOTE: It is Frota, not frota -- It needs to be uppercase!
- If your steam.inf doesn't match up to the <active_version> of [THIS DOCUMENT] (http://api.steampowered.com/IGCVersion_570/GetServerVersion/v1?format=xml) then the server may just exit
- Verify you have installed metamod and d2fixups correctly, you can do this by adding +meta list to your launch parameters, starting the server, then checking your dota/console.log. You should see these two lines:
- Listing 1 plugin:
-  Dota 2 Fixups (1.9.2) by Nicholas Hastings
- If you don't see these two, then you have installed either metamod, or d2fixups incorrectly
- If you see >> Unknown command "meta" << it means metamod is installed incorrectly, verify you added it to gameinfo.txt
CreateEvent: event 'afs_timer_update' not registered.
- You get this because you set the server up wrong.
- There is now a warning inside of Frota which will tell you this
- To fix, ENSURE you have set the convars
Is there a way I can spawn test heroes?
- Try the console command 'fake', it will fill the server with fake clients, and give each a hero, this command can only be run from the server console
Hooks & Mod Events
- There are many hooks and mod events to make making gamemodes easier.
- See the top of gamemodes.lua for the latest list of hooks and mod events.
- arenaotdr by DarkMio
- deadlock by Z-Machine
- evergreen_crossing by hanni7345
- keeperofthekotol by Kobb
- labyrinth0 by superfreexa
- riverofsouls by Z-Machine
- runehill by Azarak
- Please make a pull request if you want to update translations
- English by Ash47
- Brazilian by otaviomad, away000
- Finnish by SQL
- French by Canardlaquay
- German by DarkMio_mainframe
- Greek by SeCTeen
- Hungarian by Easimer
- Nyx by penguinwizzard
- Polish by Kobb
- Russian by lokkdokk, Shuker
- Chinese by cs-italy
- Spanish by JosDW
- Turkish by ozen
Issues that need help
- When a player leaves the game, their slot isn't removed, and hence, someone else can't connect and take their place, this is caused by the limit of 5 players per team, someone solve this :P
- Player slot being removed has a hacky fix via Sourcemod, I can also hackily set > 5 people on a team via SMJS / Sourcemod
- Getting inspiration to work on this again