Please see docs/project/support_policy.pod for the parrot project's policy regarding deprecated features.
This is a list of currently deprecated features of Parrot. Every deprecation has an associated Trac ticket . Each item indicates the first release in which it is eligible for removal. If the release listed is one that has already occurred, this feature may be removed in any upcoming release.
Whenever deprecated items are removed, information regarding how to cope with the removal will be added to https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/wiki/Deprecation.
When running parrot,
you can receive warnings about deprecated opcodes.
Either run parrot with the
-w option to enable all warnings,
or specifically by including this
.include 'warnings.pasm' warningson .PARROT_WARNINGS_DEPRECATED_FLAG
- Alternate GC configurations [eligible in 1.5]
libcwill be removed as potential options for the
- pointer [eligible in 1.1]
- random [eligible in 1.1]
- ref [eligible in 1.1]
- moved to dynpmc [eligible in 1.1]
AddrRegistry, CodeString, Env, Eval, File, OS, PCCMETHOD_Test, StringHandle, and Timer.
- multiple dispatch within core PMCs [eligible in 1.1]
- moved to dynop [eligible in 1.1]
Parts or all of: bit.ops, debug.ops, io.ops, math.ops, obscure.ops, set.ops (the obscure and rarely used parts), sys.ops.
- experimental ops [eligible in 1.1]
src/ops/experimental.ops - only the
- myops [eligible in 1.1]
- packfile structure [eligible in 1.1]
- opcode numbering [eligible in 1.1]
- PMC numbering [eligible in 1.1]
- PMC union struct [eligible in 1.1]
This will be removed once all core PMCs have been updated.
- :anon and :vtable named parameters to add_method [eligible in 1.1]
If you want to override a vtable method/function when building a Class, then use the method
add_vtable_overrideinstead of calling
add_methodwith one or both of these flags.
- Assignment syntax with opcodes [eligible in 1.1]
When the first argument of an opcode is
OUT, then the assignment syntax will be allowed, as it is today.
In any other case (i.e.
IN), this will become a syntax error. For example:
$S0 = print $P0 = substr 1, 2, "x"
Will have to be:
print $S0 substr $P0, 1, 2, "x"
- named class/pmc lookup in pir syntax such as new, isa, subclass, get_class, etc [eligible in 1.1]
Class PMC name resolution will be the following.
if the arg is a STRING Relative to the current Namespace
if the arg is a Array (of any sort) or Key Relative to the current HLL Namespace
if the arg is a Namespace or Class PMC The passed in class or the class attatched to the passed in namespace.
- load or include paths prefixed with 'library/' or 'include/' [eligible in 1.5]
- mmd_cvt_to_types [eligible in 1.1]
- src/pic.c and src/pic_jit.c [eligible in 1.1]
These two files were a thin prototype implementation of Polymorphic Inline Caching that only ever applied to 4 opcodes, one of which has now been removed. The files (and all functions in them) are deprecated, and will be removed.
- Subs marked with
:methodaren't in namespace [eligible in 1.1]
Subs marked with
:methodflags are no longer given a namespace entry by default. Use the
:nsentryflag to cause this to happen.
- Parrot_readbc, Parrot_loadbc. [eligible in 1.1]
They have been renamed to
Parrot_pbc_readhas one third int argument.
- C API coding standards cleanup [eligible in 1.1]
All C API functions that aren't currently named according to the 'Parrot_<system>_*' scheme will be renamed. If you depend on these functions in an extending/embedding interface or C-level custom PMCs, check in 1.4 or 2.0 for the new names.
- Parrot_add_library_path [eligible in 1.1]
Will be renamed to
- parrot_new_pmc_hash [eligible in 1.5]
This function will be removed. parrot_new_hash should be used in its place.
- P6protoobject stringification [eligible in 1.1]
Stringification of protoobjects will return the full name of the type and parentheses, per Synopsis 12.
- Deprecated rules and methods [eligible in 1.1]
The following "built-in" PGE rules and methods are from previous versions of Synopsis 5.
- Stringification, numification [eligible in 1.1]
PGE::Matchobjects will stringify or numify based on the text that is matched, not the result object.
- PCT::HLLCompiler stages [eligible in 1.1]
The interface of various methods for adding, removing, and modifying the list stages in a PCT::HLLCompiler object is subject to change. The existing actual stages will remain; only the mechanism for specifying the order of individual stages is likely to change.
- PCT::HLLCompiler from Perl 5's Test::Harness [eligible in 1.1]
In order to facilitate using PCT::HLLCompiler with test harnesses, the
command_linemethod of PCT::HLLCompiler object exits silently if it detects that it is being run in a sample run from Perl's Test::Harness. Currently this detection is done by checking the second command line argument for "@INC"; future releases may use a different detection mechanism or eliminate it altogether.
$(...)syntax [eligible in 1.5]
$(...)syntax for obtaining a result object from a Match object will no longer work. The new syntax is yet to be determined.
- tools/build/dynoplibs.pl and tools/build/dynpmc.pl [eligible in 1.1]
Replaced with makefiles.
- Data::Replace [eligible in 1.5]
- JSON, JSON, and Config;JSON [eligible in 1.5]