The RAD (Readers' Advisory Device) was a project created by members of the ASIS&T@UBC student organazation. It used a Raspberry Pi computer and a receipt printer to print random book recommendations when people push a button.
An updated version of this project can be found on GitHub at https://github.com/asistubc/RAD-Device-2-Buttons
This repository contains:
- RA Instructions.docx - List of supplies used, information on the creation process, and step by step instructions
- RADprinter1.py - The code that makes the project work
- booklist1.csv - An example CSV file of books
- printer.py - Thermal printer drivers
Download our code containing RADprinter1.py and copy into the py-thermal-printer directory.
- Assorted blog posts
- Parham, K. E., Ferri, A. M., Fan, S. , Murray, M. P., Lahr, R. A., Grguric, E. , Swamiraj, M. and Meyers, E., "Critical Making with a Raspberry Pi - Towards a Conceptualization of Librarians as Makers,", ASIS&T Annual Meeting, November 2014 (Poster Presentation)
- Parham, K. E., Ferri, A. M., Fan, S. , Murray, M. P., Lahr, R. A., Grguric, E. , Swamiraj, M. and Meyers, E., Critical making with a raspberry pi ‐ towards a conceptualization of librarians as makers. Proceedings of the Association for Information Science & Technology, 51: 1-4, April 2015. doi:10.1002/meet.2014.14505101110 (Article)
- Murray, M, "The Machine: Using a Raspberry Pi for Readers’ Advisory," What Are You Reading?, May 2014.