App for creating a flexible grid system that can be used for Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC), for Smart Home control and as a webradio or YouTube player.
These are the most important features of AsTeRICS Grid:
- Cross platform: runs on PC, Smartphone, Tablet, Windows, Linux, Android, iOS
- No installation needed, just open https://grid.asterics.eu/ in the browser
- Once loaded, AsTeRICS Grid runs offline without internet connection
- Optionally synchronize configuration using the cloud (data is end-to-end encrypted)
- Very flexible grid system, layouts are completely customizable
- Text-to-speech in various languages
- Internationalization: create grid sets in multiple languages
- Various input possibilities like Clicking, Tapping (on touchscreen), Hovering, Scanning, Keyboard, Buttons, and even more complex ones like Eye-Tracking, Head-Tracking or use of EMG muscle sensors (using the AsTeRICS Framework)
- Integrated search for open AAC symbols from https://www.opensymbols.org/
- Smart Home control (using the AsTeRICS Framework)
- Flexible keyboard layouts with word prediction and self-learning dictionaries
- Play webradios (over 25000) using radio-browser.info
- Search and play YouTube videos
There are two versions of AsTeRICS Grid online:
- https://grid.asterics.eu/ current stable release
- https://grid.asterics.eu/latest/ current testing (beta) release, possibly unstable
Run project locally
- clone the project
git clone firstname.lastname@example.org:asterics/AsTeRICS-Grid.git
- install node.js https://nodejs.org/
- install yarn, see https://yarnpkg.com/
- go to the directory of the cloned project and run
npm run startand open http://localhost:9095
yarn install the following commands are available:
npm run start--> starts a webserver serving the AsTeRICS grid on
http://localhost:9095, does hot reloading if js-sources change.
npm run start-legacy--> same as
startbut js sources are transformed to ES5 using babel.
npm run start-no-live--> same as
startbut hot reloading is disabled.
npm run build--> builds the js-files in folder
npm run start-superlogin-dev--> runs superlogin locally and makes it possible to create "online users" within the locally running application. A local CouchDb instance is necessary in order to work.
npm run release-> releases the current version with a new tag and push it to
gh-pagesbranch in order to be served at https://grid.asterics.eu/
npm run release-latest-> same as
npm run releasebut with destination https://grid.asterics.eu/latest/
npm run test-> runs tests of the project using Jest.
Acknowledgements and Attribution
- Thanks to https://crossbrowsertesting.com/ for providing a free open source license.
- Thanks to Alex Segler for the great Webradio API radio-browser.info which makes it possible to search and play webradios within AsTeRICS Grid
- Thanks to the makers of the API from opensymbols.org which makes it possible to search for open AAC symbols within AsTeRICS Grid
- Thanks to ResponsiveVoice for providing an free non-commercial version, ResponsiveVoice-NonCommercial licensed under