This cookbook provides provides the ability to manage a sysctl file for Enterprise Linux based systems. The default attributes reflect default sysctl kernel settings as shipped with RHEL 5.
The iscsi and oracle cookbook both depend on this cookbook as they provide additional tuning, or overriden, settings.
- ["ip_forward"]: Servers providing routing need to be set to 1, default 0
- ["conf"]["default"]["rp_filter"]: Reverse path filtering, default 1
- ["conf"]["default"]["accept_source_route"]: Accept source route packets, default 0
- ["sysrq"]: System request debugging, default 0
- ["core_uses_pid"]: Core dumps append process ID to filename, default 1
- ["ipv4"]["tcp_syncookies"]: Use of TCP SYN cookies, default 1
- ["msgmnb"]: Maximum size of a message in bytes, default 65536
- ["msgmax"]: Default maximum size of a message queue, default 65536
- ["shmmax"]: Maximum shared segment size in bytes, default 4294967295
- ["shmall"]: Maximum number of shared memory segments in pages, default 268435456
Set role specific overrides, and add recipe["el-sysctl"] to runlist
LICENSE AND AUTHOR:
Copyright 2010-2011, Eric G. Wolfe
Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at
Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.