Ensemble Test Automation Framework
We created a test automation framework for InterSystems’ Ensemble productions when we were hired to develop conversions, HL7 interfaces and web apps with Ensemble. Our framework brings test-driven development (TDD) to the InterSystems tool chain of Cachè and Ensemble.
The benefits of TDD for InterSystems technology are similar to other technologies and platforms:
- Improving the quality of new productions
- Reducing the time/cost for developing new productions
- Reducing mistakes made when modifying or extending existing productions
- Reducing the cost of full regression testing
Another significant benefit to test automation in this context is to ease the pain, anxiety and risk of upgrading to a new version of Ensemble.
We’ve bundled an HL7 routing example, a simple general example application, and some documentation with the project to make it easier to get started. A rudimentary continuous integration task is included.
We last used this framework with Ensemble version 2016.1.
More to Explore
- Michigan Medical PC Case Study [PDF]
- Saved by Tests – Importing and Upgrading to Ensemble 2008
- Test Automation in InterSystems Cache and Ensemble [Part 1]
- Test Automation in InterSystems Cache and Ensemble [Part 2]
- Test-Driven Development summary
Production Testing Demonstration Video
The video can be watched in high quality or directly but in lower resolution below.