erc-crypt.el is a minor mode for ERC that enables the use of PSK encryption.
Encryption can be enabled/disabled on a per buffer basis.
- Use external OpenSSL binary for encrypt/decrypt
- Visual in-buffer indicator for errors and encrypted messages sent/received
- Auto splits ciphertext in order to get around IRC message limits. Original formatting is preserved, no information is lost.
- Messages are padded to constant size
- Move to GnuPG for symmetric encryption (also customizable key derivation from passphrase)
- Use OpenSSL for DH key generation
- Fully automated authenticated DH key exchange
erc-crypt.el should be seen as a proof-of-concept and serve as HOWTO-code in terms of developing similar minor modes for ERC. It does NOT offer strong cryptography, DO NOT use this for anything serious!
;; Move erc-crypt.el to a directory in your load-path (require 'erc-crypt) M-x erc-crypt-enable ; Enable encryption for the current ERC buffer M-x erc-crypt-disable ; Disable encryption for the current ERC buffer M-x erc-crypt-set-key ; Set/change key for current ERC buffer
The code comes with a BSD-style license so you can basically do with it whatever you want.
xristos (AT) sdf (DOT) lonestar (DOT) org