Audacity is an easy-to-use, multi-track audio editor and recorder for Windows, macOS, GNU/Linux and other operating systems. Audacity is open source software licensed under GPL, version 2 or later.
- Recording from any real or virtual audio device that is available to the host system.
- Export / Import a wide range of audio formats, extensible with FFmpeg.
- High quality using 32-bit float audio processing.
- Plug-in Support for multiple audio plug-in formats, including VST, LV2, and AU.
- Macros for chaining commands and batch processing.
- Scripting in Python, Perl, or any other language that supports named pipes.
- Nyquist a powerful built-in scripting language that may also be used to create plug-ins.
- Editing multi-track editing with sample accuracy and arbitrary sample rates.
- Accessibility for VI users.
- Analysis and visualization tools to analyze audio or other signal data.
Build instructions are available here.
More information for developers is available from the Audacity Wiki.