- Tags: translations, translation, multilingual, i18n, l10n, localisation
- Requires at least: 3.5.1
- Tested up to: 4.1.1
- Stable tag: 1.5.1
- License: GPLv2 or later
- License URI: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html
Multilingual WordPress done right.
This plugin is at a beta stage for translating:
- Custom post types
- Custom taxonomies.
It is powering a live site at http://freespeechdebate.com/.
The plugin was built with an aversion to both additional database tables, additional columns or column changes and a desire to keep additional queries to a minimum. The plugin is (in theory) compatible with WordPress.com VIP and was built with this platform in mind.
There are a lot of
@FIXME comments, expressing doubts, fears, uncertainties and
unknowns; feel free to weigh in on any of them.
Please add bugs and contribute patches and pull requests to https://github.com/cftp/babble/issues
Pull requests on the develop branch, please, not the master branch.
Contributors: Simon Wheatley, John Blackbourn, Scott Evans, Simon Dickson, Marko Heijnen, Tom Nowell, Gary Jones, Emyr Thomas
Installation is fairly standard:
- Upload the
babbledirectory to the
- Ensure pretty permalinks are activated in Settings -> Permalinks, not sure how it will cope without these!
- Activate the plugin through the 'Plugins' menu in WordPress
- You'll now be prompted to set the languages you want, you can pick from any of the language packs you've got installed
- You'll notice the language switcher menu in the admin bar, use this to switch languages and (depending on context) to create new versions of the content you are looking at (from the front end) or editing (from the admin area)
- Fix for not syncing when updating post meta (#261)
- New functionality for translating post meta data.
- New option to immediately create blank translations when a translation job is open.
- Use the default language text direction for translations which have empty content.
- Visual tweaks to the translation editing screen.
- Load the interface textdomain when loading and displaying the admin toolbar on the front end.
- Correctly set the interface language and content language separately from each other.
- The WPLANG constant is deprecated since WP 4.0. We now give preference to the WPLANG option when setting the defaults.
- Fix registration of 'term_translation' taxonomy.
- Fix breaking rewrite rules starting with ^.
- Various corrections to templates and body classes.
- Various smaller bug fixes.
- Fix the single post template names
- Update the bundled External Update API library
- Fix the language switcher widget so it correctly displays language names
- Add the External Update API library to serve updates to Babble from GitHub
- ENHANCEMENT: Translation job UI and workflow
- ENHANCEMENT: Separation of admin language setting from the content language
- Various fixes and enhancements
gap of time while we add various things
- Taxonomy terms.
- Proof of concept concentrating on the translation of posts. Taxonomies and menus are not handled yet. Widgets are out of scope completely for this phase of work.