The fun way to slice the bread.
What is it?
A simple way to enter expenses and mileage into Google Docs from a text-message. You can specify "m" or "M" for mileage driven and "d" or "D" for dollars spent. For example, if you texted:
- "35d Burgers with the team"
- "44.1m Denver Airport"
You would end up with this:
|Burgers with the team||d||$35.00||12/05/2013||+13035555555|
You can then use the "m" in Google Docs for mileage reimbursement calculation, etc.
- Push this code up to a Heroku Cedar app.
- Setup the following env variables (.env if you're using Foreman):
GOOGLE_EMAIL: The email address associated with your Google account.
GOOGLE_PASSWORD: The password for your Google account.
TWILIO_ACCOUNT_SID: Available on your Twilio dashboard.
TWILIO_AUTH_TOKEN: Keep this a secret.
SPREADSHEET_KEY: Grab this from the URL to the Google Doc spreadsheet.
WORKSHEET_INDEX: The index (0-based) of the worksheet.
- Make sure you don't add these files to your git repo!
- Register a Twilio number.
- Point the SMS URL for that number to http://your-app.herokuapp.com/expenses.
- Send a text to the number in the format: "<amount> <description>".