Helps you improve your web typograpbhy with some standard text filters.
This project is based on Django's Typogrify, so the best introduction to read would be Jeff Croft's.
I created this gem to easily share these text filters in some tiny Ruby projects, including a TextMate bundle. For production code I recommend checking out the originals first.
First, install the Ruby gem:
$ gem install typogruby
Then require the library to get started:
require 'typogruby' Typogruby.improve('Hello, world!')
Or, you can include the library in a helper or something:
require 'typogruby' include Typogruby improve('Hello, world!')
From the command line
You can also use typogruby directly from the command line:
This will output the contents of your file with all filters applied. Use
typogruby -h for more information and options.
- Bugfix: no longer regard combination of digits and periods as caps.
- Bugfix: do not add consecutive non-breaking spaces to prevent widows
- Bugfix: caps also ignores unequal but same excepted tags
- Feature: added command-line program
- Improved documentation
- Bugfix: initial_quotes also wraps named HTML entities
- Bugfix: caps no longer wraps consecutive numbers
- First release
Note on Patches/Pull Requests
- Fork the project.
- Make your feature addition or bug fix.
- Add tests for it. This is important so I don't break it in a future version unintentionally.
- Commit, do not mess with rakefile, version, or history. (if you want to have your own version, that is fine but bump version in a commit by itself I can ignore when I pull)
- Send me a pull request. Bonus points for topic branches.
Copyright (c) 2010 Arjan van der Gaag
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.