CoC-CharGen is a character generator for Call of Cthulhu (CoC) for both PCs (player characters) and NPCs (non-player characters). It supports 1890’s, 1920’s, and 1990’s versions of the game. It’s goal is to be:
- Universal – it’s coded in good ol’ PHP!
- Easy to use – just click a button!
- Expandable – a MySQL backend allows adding more names, places, colleges, and other information.
- Up-to-date – other generators haven’t been updated in years!
- Complete – CoC-CharGen will create everything for you, including your backstory, appearance, address, and more.
- Complete stats generation
- Automatic calculation of IDEA, LUK, KNOW, hit points, and sanity points.
- Option to disable mythos points allocation
- Fully randomized country creation
- Home town and name generated based on the home country to match region and ethnic background (% chance to be a non-native name based on era)
- Education location (ie. what university) based on income level
- Weighted randomization algorithm for occupation based on education
- Appearance generates randomly based on size, strength, appearance.
- Backstory randomly generates from lists of hundreds of different combinations of options.
- Real content and data
- Over 200 real, accredited universities and colleges, all historically accurate, with minimum required income levels.
- Thousands of first and last names, pulled from actual census data from the CoC eras.
- Thousands of street names and suffixes, allowing in virtually millions of different street names.
- Randomized chance of having a pre-existing mental disorder based on documented rates in CoC eras.
- Unpack the src/ directory into your public_html/ (or equivalent) directory of your choice, and go to the /install/ page. Follow the steps!
CoC-CharGen is supported by the I, Gamer Podcast and BrianTurchyn.net . Support them by listening to the podcast or tossing them a couple bucks for a beer. Beer has been known to fuel programming productivity !
Call of Cthulhu Character Generator
Copyright (C) 2011 Brian Turchyn, Glen Conolly, Tyler Omichinski
All references to commercial items copyright their respective owners
This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
(at your option) any later version.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
GNU General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
along with this program. If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.