Like Wikipedia, Not Wikipedia is a user-maintained encyclopedia. Anyone can view the information on the site, however, to get involved with creating and maintaining wikis, a user needs to create a free account. From there, a user can upgrade to a paid membership, allowing the creation of private wikis, which can be shared with individuals the user wishes to collaborate with.
- Anyone can view public wikis by browsing the site.
- Users can create, edit, delete, and maintain any public wiki using Markdown syntax.
- Users can pay to upgrade to a premium account, allowing the creation of private wikis.
- Premium users can invite other users to collaborate on private wikis they have created.
- Premium users can cancel their subscription.
- When a user downgrades their account, their private wikis will automatically be made public.
Languages and Frameworks: Ruby on Rails and Bootstrap
Ruby version 2.4.0
Databases: SQLite (Test, Development), PostgreSQL (Production)
Development Tools and Gems include:
- Devise for user authentication
- Redcarpet for Markdown formatting
- Markdown-js for live Markdown formatting
- Pundit for authorization
- Stripe for payments
- Rspec and FactoryGirl for tests
- Environment variables were set using Figaro and are stored in
config/application.yml(ignored by git).
config/application.example.ymldemonstrates how to store environment variables.
To run locally:
- Clone the repository
bundle installon command line
- Create and migrate the SQLite database with
- Start the server using
- Run the app on