This repository contains my open source reading list. I keep track of books by editing the files here and the results are automatically published as a website at http://bamos.github.io/reading-list.
This repository just contains stubbed examples of how to use this project. Ping me if you're interested in my personal reading list!
- Plaintext and friendly data format.
- Minimal hosting and deployment overhead.
- Offline editing support.
- Linux and OSX. Windows should also work with Cygwin, but I haven't tried. Please file any issues related to this.
- YAML data.
- GitHub Pages hosts and automatically deploys a 100% client-side website that can also be edited offline. Bower manages 3rd party library dependencies used on the site, stored in bower.json.
Creating Your Reading List: Quick Start
- Fork or copy the contents of this repository into a new GitHub repository.
Make sure the default branch is set to
gh-pagesfor deployment. At this point, you should be able to see my site hosted at.
- Update the data and personalize index.html. Push your changes to GitHub to see them immediately on the new site.
- Replace links to http://bamos.github.io/reading-list with your URL.
Most browsers will not be able to open
from the filesystem because the js loads YAML resources.
One workaround is to use start a simple Python static
web server with
python2 -m SimpleHTTPServer
and access the website with
Updating Bower Dependencies
Import from Goodreads
Warning: This script only pulls the first 200 books. Improvements to this are being tracked in this issue.
The following projects inspired me to create a GitHub-hosted reading list.
|cmonty/reading-list||8||Track books I've read and any thoughts I've had. Also uses Wiki to track knowledge.|
|coryschires/reading-list||18||List of books and screencasts related to development, user experience design, and entrepreneurship.|
|DavidRagone/reading_list||2||List of books I have read related to development, user experience design, and entrepreneurship|
|engeld/reading-list||0||A collection of my reading list and notes.|
|gbtekkie/ReadingList||2||handy collection of tekkie readings|
|jaredcacurak/reading-list||3||My reading list.|
People using this repo for their reading list
Ping me if you'd like to be added or removed.
|aerovolts/reading-list||0||My personal reading list.|
|ammadafsar/reading-list||0||My reading list. Made so that I add things I will later read and commit to read them all in order.|
|connors511/reading-list||0||My reading list. Made so that I add things I will later read and commit to read them all in order.|
|jakehschwartz/reading-list||0||My reading list.|
|markroxor/reading-list||0||My reading list.|
|rwfeather/reading-list||0||My reading list.|
|samtron1412/reading-list||0||My reading list.|
|wrideout/reading-list||2||My reading list.|
Credits and Licensing
All portions are MIT licensed by Brandon Amos unless otherwise noted.
This project uses and modifies the following open source projects and resources. Modifications remain under the original license.
|Flickr Photo||Yes||cc by-nc-sa 2.0|
|TimelineJS||No||Mozilla Public License|